1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Moving on from ....

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by claud, Apr 25, 2017.

1. claud

claud Well-Known Member

Ipods. I have bought two 160 gb iPods in the last three months. I had a 120 GB one to totally crap out recently and called Apple to help me, but its still junk. Apple guy asked me why I was still using old tech. Last night I decided to move on and research said this Sony was a very good performer at a decent price. It was a $100 cheaper than the new 160 GB iPod I bought last. Its an Sony NWZA17. Also ordered a 128 GB card to augment its 64 GB internal storage. 71d7JbFw+gL._SX425_.jpg

2. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Because Apple won't release an iPod that all it does is store all my music with a battery that lasts for days if I'm not using it. Which is why I still use my 160gb iPod Classic that's going on 6 or 7 years old (all I know is that it's in at least it's third car, it stays in the car all the time.)

It'll crap out on me eventually and when it does I might try to replace the hard drive with an SSD because I still use iTunes to manage playlists and stuff, which I'm guessing that the Sony can't take advantage of (though I may be wrong.)

jasn likes this.
  3. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor

Chris and I are in the same place. I too have a 160 GB ipod going on its 3rd car. It's really all about iTunes for me.

However many years ago, I rated all my songs, try very hard to keep up with it, and continue to create personally crafted, multi-level smart playlist (ping me if you want a step-by-step guide) . Nothing beats iTunes music management. IMO. I mix new tunes with old and am constantly amazed at how well it all fits together.

There's a great android app called Rocketplayer that integrates and syncs seamlessly with my iTunes. I use it on my Galaxy S5 for when I travel or use Bluetooth speakers. When my ipod finally dies I'll just keep using my phone instead.

4. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

I sold my 160GB iPod classic a couple of years back. Basically used it for 7+ years and got about 80% of what I paid for it. My last two vehicles, including the current one, will take thumb drives with either MP3 or WMA. Basically took most of the 320kbps MP3s I had for the iPod and also converted some other files I had to something that will play in the car. Have about 6,500 songs and probably room for about another 6,500 on the 128GB thumb drive. I looked at getting a portable player that will do hi-rez but I don't take a ton of long trips in the car and the files take up more room. The thumb drives are cheap too.

5. claud

claud Well-Known Member

As I said earlier, I do have two 160 GB iPods and I also have two 16GB Nanos. These are my car tunes. They have been giving me fits the last six months. The Large ones in particularlar have been cutting off and the car does not see them. Thought it might be the cheap short dock cables, but no. I recently bought a set of Campfire Vega IEMs that I think will be killer with the new Sony. Will see soon enough as it arrives today.

6. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member War Zone Member

I love having my music in the car. Keep us up to date on how your latest solution works out for you, Claud. And please don't use those IEMs while you are driving. :rolleyes:

7. claud

claud Well-Known Member

Arrived yesterday. Set up and transfer of tunes not difficult for 69 year old non IT person.Loaded it with about 10 HiRez albums from HD Tracks to start. Sounds stunning with my Campfire IEMs. Small form factor. Just a bit bigger than my old Nanos. Will post a pic of them together.

8. Travis Ballstadt

Travis Ballstadt New Member

I love Apple, but I totally understand the complaint on the iPod. I have a few friends that work there, and I've hinted for a few years now that what I want is basically an in-dash iPad with a 1TB drive. Every time I pull in my garage and turn the engine off, I want it to connect to my wi-fi and download any new tracks from my iTunes library to the hard drive.

Seems simple, but they don't seem to be working on it.