Mr. Broooks

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Karl Englebright, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright New Member

Just came back from seeing this film. This movie stars Kevin Costner as a wealthy business man with a dark, dark alter ego. He's a serial killer.

This movie is not a "keep you at the edge of your seat" thriller or murder mystery. However, it does draw you in with a decent plot, smart character development, and really solid performances from everyone. I think this one fo Kevin Costner's best performances.

I'd give it an 8 of 10.

If you are looking for a movie to go see at you local cinema, give this one a try.

2. Eric

Eric Active Member

I'll second that. I watched it Sunday afternoon. I walked away impressed.

3. Oh, yeah, this one looks like a goody to me.

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I think we'll for sure be renting this one. Looks pretty darn good.

5. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

This one definitely intrigued me as well...looks good...we almost went to this last night but chose S3 instead (Mr. Brooks will look the same on a small screen...spidey won't, and spidey is only playing on one screen our of sixteen, once a day...there were 8 people at it last night...it will soon leave our theaters).

6. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Costner as the evil character? That really is a twist! :shock:

7. Shane

Shane Active Member

Kind of like Harrison Ford in What Lies Beneath

The Critics are panning this. I wouldn't be shocked if Larry panned it either knowing his love for Costner :)

8. Karl Englebright

Shane, your comparison is close. Except this movie goes less for "jump out of your seat" surprises and "the creepy thing around the corner", and more for an in-depth look at a sick individual. I have to give William Hurt kudos here too. Though he's always top notch. I guess, my opinion is that the plot is not the main thing of this movie, it's just a vehicle to parade the two main characters around in.

9. John Kotches

John Kotches New Member

I always though of William Hurt as being about wooden as an actor -- always playing every character quite similarly. Very little emotion in his characters.

Now maybe I'm just missing the nuances of his performances.

10. Karl Englebright

Maybe I'm mistaking that for good acting... :D

11. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

Reviews have been mixed but most agree it's one of Costner's best performances.

-EJ

12. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

I agree - one of the best i've seen this summer so far. Far from perfect (its largely implausible) but as you say it provides good edge-of-your-seat tension, and the acting is good all around. Nice flick.