1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

MS Unveils Surface Computing platform

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Mike Parent, May 31, 2007.

1. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

This is, well, revolutionary IMO

MS Site

2. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

I can't wait to play Pac-Man on that. ;)

3. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

4. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

Did you enjoy the link in last weeks weekly 360 of PacMan's skull :)

5. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Weird, I never got the newsletter. I just checked my spam folder and it showed up there.

The Pac-Man skull is pretty cool. :)

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

This is very similar to this technology that came out a a while ago. I came across this photoshoped image that I laughed at as well.

[​IMG]

7. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Active Member

ok, maybe im not geeky enough to scoff at this.

i think this is pretty fucking cool.

not a computer replacement, but a really neat addition to my homes network. deffinatly not a "need" but id buy one to play with if the price was somewher in the ball park of a conventional machine.

8. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Think of the pr0n booby touching applications!

/beat Colton!

9. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

It definitely looks feasible in the retail/kiosk/restaurant fields

I love the phone comparison thing - that was way cool. And the restaurant/credit card demo. Very slick.

10. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

This has been in the works for YEARS.

The way it can interact with other objects is pretty amazing. Very intuitive and one of those things that just makes you grin when you use it.

For those of you with a Wii... similar to the "cool" and "fun" factor of that interface.

11. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

It's slick, but I still think the next real advance in the user interface will be practical voice recognition and command, especially for embedded systems. We are rapidly approaching the point where a "computer" will be any device with a micro-processor and all of your devices will be linked or networked so they can work together. This isn't a pipe dream, most calculator watches and every digital phone has more computing power than an IBM 8088 had and wireless networking is one of, if not the fastest growing segment of the CE market.

12. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

It is funny that you mention voice recognition.

That is also something that has received tons of R&D for at least the last 10 years, and it still has some serious practical issues.

13. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Computing power was a major issue until recently. That's being addressed with the latest generations of processors, especially the dual and quad core units. I think the biggest stumbling block now is programming. Voice recognition is very complex in a lab setting, it's incredibly complex in the real world. But it will come, just like almost everything else in Star Trek. :D