1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Music Giants

Discussion in 'Music Lounge' started by CJ, May 16, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Yesterday I downloaded an album from Music Giants. A word of caution, they use activeX so Firefox need not apply. After I figured out that their website wasn't totally crap (its still crap for only working with IE) purchasing a "HD" lossless album was fairly easy. I downloaded the album and then burned it using windows media player. After that I was able to rip it to my library that I use for my ROKU with no problems (while ROKU will play DRM WMA files, it wouldn't play the native 1,100kbps "HD" audio file so I had to go through this process. If I'd downloaded a lossless non-HD WMA I could have played it directly). Any way, the DRM doesn't really seam that restrictive considering what it allowed me to do. It does say you can only burn the music 5 times to CD but if you can re-rip it, the restriction is purely academic IME. I was able to impulse buy Prince - The Best Of, which has always been the driving force behind my desire for downloadable lossless music (being that I buy more music on an impulse than not).

So any way, check it out if you want.

2. How much do they charge per song?

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Don't know, I paid $15 for the album and that was 17 songs. They do sell songs separately but I didn't price them. The key for me is its lossless. I have no use for something like iTunes with lossy files even if they were only $0.25, which they're not, but I'll gladly pay actual CD prices for lossless content since I don't hang on to liner notes etc. any way. and don't use the physical disks either.