1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

MusicGiants Adds Unprotected Downloads

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by DYohn, Jun 18, 2007.

1. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

MusicGiants Adds Unprotected Downloads

6/18/2007

DENVER ? MusicGiants became the first download site to sell unprotected music in WMA lossless format with the debut today of the Paul McCartney's "Memory Almost Full" album.

The company plans to supplement the title with "a tremendous amount of DRM-free music by late fall," with some titles available during the summer, MusicGiants CEO Scott Bahneman said. The company, he said, is talking to Concord Music Group, which partnered with Starbucks to bring the McCartney album to market. MusicGiants is also talking to EMI, which began offering its catalog DRM-free on the Apple iTunes site, he said. Concord's repertoire includes "some of the world's best blues, jazz, classic rock, and classical music," a spokeswoman added.

The album price for "Memory Almost Full" is $18.98. An extended version with commentary by McCartney is for $24.98.

McCartney's album is in the site's HD format, which consists of WMA lossless files encoded at a data rate up to 1.1Mbps to deliver what the company calls "true CD quality." MusicGiants also offers 2.0- and 5.1-channel "Super HD" downloads at 88.2kHz and 96kHz sampling rates with 24-bit resolution, also in WMA Lossless format but at data rates up to around 11Mbps. A number of Super HD files will be available DRM-free during the summer, Bahneman said.

MusicGiants offers more than 500,000 tracks in HD at $1.29 per song or $15.29 per album. The company also offers about 100 albums in stereo and multichannel surround in Super HD. These tracks cost $1.99. Super HD albums cost $19.99. The albums are remastered DVD Audio and SACD titles available in either 5.1 surround sound or 2.0 stereo.

2. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Nice!! Full lossless audio without DRM.

3. RicP

RicP New Member

At a price premium over CD. :)

This is a nice mini-step in the right direction certainly, but when I can get a truly lossless CD for less than the cost of this download, the model simply doesn't work.

4. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

This is exactly what Mike Knapp wants.

5. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Agreed..that's some crazy pricing.

6. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Yeah, I don't get the pricing either.

7. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

I think it's more geared towards the people who want single tracks, plus in some cases where the difference between the DL album and the real album is just a couple bucks I probably wouldn't waste my time going to the store and then ripping the tracks.

8. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Some of the higher priced tracks are higher resolution than CD and/or multichannel.

9. Alfer

Alfer New Member

When it goes for $9.72 new at Wal Mart...I'd be inclined to take the 3 minute drive on my lunch hour to save the $9....:)

10. CJ

Of course you would.

11. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Sounded a tad condesending there Mr. CJ... :wink:

12. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Hmmm, help me out here.

$15.29 - DL album price
    $ 9.72 - Walmart price
    = $5.57

Kind of missed that $9 mark.

So you're going to waste an hour to save $5?

13. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Ah you are correct...my bad....I was reading this from David's post:

I guess he meant the street price at B&M's...

Still $5.57 will buy me a nice $5 (not taxes) Subway meal on the way out the WM door... :)

14. CJ

No wait, to do this right, we have to compare actual price at Music Giants to MSRP of CDs. Isn't that the way we do these comparisons :roll:

15. Alfer

Alfer New Member

p.s. I'm just not that lazy...I rather get out and get some fresh air on my lunch hour...the SWM is actually within walking distance from our office....I don't get to nutted up about going to local stores to get stuff..especially if it's practically next door to work. :)

16. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I'm not defending anyone here, but I WOULD just buy it on from Amazon for 9.99. So I'd still save the $5 and not have to leave my house. I would have to wait two days, though (and in order to be completely valid, I'd have to factor in the $80 Amazon Prime membership split over every purchase over the year from them, but it factors out to less than a dollar per purchase - I buy a lot from Amazon -.)

But actually, since I'm not THAT picky about audio quality, and I'm also cheap, I would buy it via my emusic account for $2.99 (just under 23 cents a song with the 90 tracks a month for $19.99) in a non-DRM MP3 format ripped via LAME at 192. In fact this particular album is in my queue for my next refresh of tracks.

17. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Interesting, I didn't realize until just now that they are offering one track at a time. 6 months ago you had to buy a whole album. Single track at a time, this is not looking bad.

18. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair New Member

I'd pay 19 bucks for an album in 5.1 if it were mixed by somebody good like Elliot Scheiner.

EDIT: But it has to be useable and useful, something I could burn as a DVD-A and play where I want.