1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

My first DVD viewing in HD

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Tyson, May 26, 2007.

1. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I watched A Scanner Darkly on Blue-ray the other night. It was the first movie I watched on any HD format.

Equipment used was a PS3 and a nice Pioneer plasma (not an elite). I think it is around 50 inches.

I have yet to be able to watch an HD disc on my projector with 720P, but I know from seeing other things on this plasma that the difference between SD and HD is HUGE. Wow!

I had seen some demos at place like Best Buy, Tweeters, etc., but with the lighting, etc., and the movies they were playing (early discs, and possibly not the best looking discs to show off) I wasn't as impressed as I wanted to be. Watching this the other night, and on a plasma that is not calibrated, from beginning to end, I was thoroughly impressed and won over.

A new setup of my own to properly display (and hear) this new technology is not within my current budget, but when I am able I will making the switch for sure.

Astounding difference.

Great movie, too. Second viewing of it. First time was on my laptop, which has a decent picture for a laptop.

I'm sold.

Tyson

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Once you go HD you can't go back, the difference is that much. I watched Babel the other night, an SD rental, it was very difficult to sit through it, painful on the eyes it was...even upsacled via my A1. Let alone the movie was not very good either.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

You guys are starting to sound like Larry with audio. SD doesn't look anywhere as good but its not painful or unwatchable. I rent everything in HD-DVD that I can but it doesn't impact my queue as far as what movies I put in it and it doesn't bother me when something's not in HD. That said, HD does look a lot better than HD.

4. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

[Thread fart]Glad Drew and I aren't the only ones that thought so. 2/10 for me.

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

It's ok CJ, I went through the same stage your going though now, give it more time and soon you'll not be able to watch SD.

Ya lost me.

6. Tyson

Tyson New Member

We watched The Fountain last night and the opening scenes, along with a lot of the movie, have heavy contrast and dark scenes. The first thought in my head within 20 seconds was...HD....HD....HD.

:p

7. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I somehow don't think it's a "phase"...SD is far far from being "unwatchable...that's plain silly IMO.

Now if you said watching a VHS copy of a copy of an HBO movie copied on a SLP on a bigscreen of today was "unwatchable", then I'd TOTALLY agree....but SD DVD "painful" or "unwatchable" ? Nahhh..not even close..at least for me and many of my friends and family. And even if they did eyeball a demo of the same movie in HD/Blu they still wouldn't go home and say "this version we have in SD is simply UNWATCHABLE!" :)

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Think whatever you want Alfer, bit until you buy a deck, calibrate it and your TV, your opinion as to HD-DVD/ Blu-ray is pretty much worthless, no offense intended.

Personally, watcing SD is getting painful, and I'm not alone in my opinion. Other's will agree.

Again, buy a deck and then comment on it. Don't waste our time, and yours, commenting on something you have no experience with.

9. Tyson

Tyson New Member

It all comes down to what level of video clarity you prefer. I've always been a stickler for video. I had my main CRT set cal'd by Gregg Loewen because I can tell the difference and I do appreciate seeing something as close to as intended by the filmmaker as possible. HD does this more so than SD. I like HD. SD does not look nearly as good anymore after ONE viewing. That's the way I am about video. That's what happens to me when technologies change. Same deal when DVD's first came out. Same deal when I upgraded and bought my first REAL VHS player back in the day. One with an HT enthusiast in mind. That's why I keep coming here and kept coming back to HTT. I may not be the richest or most knowledgable enthusiast, but I am an enthusiast. Pure and simple.

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I had Gregg IFS my old Mits RPTV, he did a fantastic job and the difference was very noticeable. Once I get a 1080p FP he'll be back.

11. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I guess I just can't get that excited or worked up about video quality...I/we enjoy our 6.1 set up on the new TV plenty...never worried about it not being tweaked etc or that I can't see some xtra hairs blowing in the wind on Tom Cruises head etc...it just doesn't much do anything for me. Life is just fine as it is.

When/if HD/Blu ever becomes the only thing to buy in the stores, then I will sit back and enjoy it like I do SD I'm sure...but we have zero need for it now.

12. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I was very close to having him come out and cal my FP but at this point I'm glad that he did not, as the projector has not been the most reliable and now it seems to be dying a slow death, or at least one that I'm not willing to spend more money on to fix. I've already fixed it once for somewhere around $100. It was originally a $2000 player about 2 years ago. (Panny 700)

Depending on what route I finally take as far as HD goes, FP or Plasma or whatever, I definitely, definitely plan on having Gregg come out again.

13. Shane

Shane Active Member

My father in law is hooked too. Compared to upscaled DVD, it wasn't close. I showed him bits and pieces of "The Queen" which was an excellent movie BTW, and he kept on commenting "It's like a window". "Dvd doesn't look nearly this good".

Ignorance is bliss and most of the time it's a whole heaping of ignorance.

No more Sirloin Stockade for me.

Tyson,
    Scanner Darkly is also a very nice near reference transfer. If you can imagine it, there are better transfers out there.

14. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Well I know that if I couldn't see those extra hairs or any other detail that we know you have no desire to see, that I would get all worked up and my life would be total hell.

:wink:

15. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I was wondering just how good of a transfer it was as I was watching it, having never seen it in the theater. It was a real treat to watch and I'm glad it was that movie, too. Excellent sci-fi.

Now that I know it was a near reference xfer, that will allow me to expect a little less from other titles but probably much, much more a few years down the road.

16. Alfer

Alfer New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yup...when it comes right down to it, HD/Blu just doesn't excite me at all. Heck I watch way more shows on TV throughout the year and would rather invest in HDTV programming and DVR's than upgrade to either new format.

p.s. Not due to "ignorance" that some have hinted I am because I am not drinkin the format "Kool-Aid"..it's like I said...I don't care enough to invest in more equipment and expensive double dips etc...simply NOT worth the time, expense, or effort for me.

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Tyson, my first FP was a Panny, to sum it up, there crap projectors. Mine died at 700 hours, never again will I buy a Panny. My new one is a Sanyo.

18. Tyson

Tyson New Member

How many hours so far on your Sanyo? I've never owned a Sanyo product, but I almost bought one of their projectors over the Panasonic.

The Panny started out very good. I'll say that much. Now it's just pissing me off for the most part.

19. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane New Member

I received the Matrix trilogy this week and watched them in order on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. The picture quality was outstanding on all three movies. I noticed HBO had Revolutions in HD the other night. The picture quality on HBO was of course 1080i with no black bars top or bottom as is usual for HBO. When I turned over to HBO the battle scene on the docks was in full swing. The picture looked dark almost muddy with pixels showing up often. Detail, color and clarity was also lost compared to the HD-DVD print.

After seeing the HD-DVD version of a movie it is getting very hard to watch it at a lower resolution.

20. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I'm with CJ....and I have lotsa experience watching
    a variety of material....hell I still play LD for those
    concerts not on DVD yet. I just consider myself lucky
    that I can watch such a wide variety of high quality video
    in the comfort of my own home...theater like.

I've had a couple Pannys so far 500 &1000)
    ...1,000 on the 500 hours no problems yet
    finger's crossed that my luck continues. Onto a pearl.

Most of the firms make a good product all are capble of a
    few lemons along the way.