1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

My first Flickr Explore photo

Discussion in 'The Photography Lounge' started by CJ, Apr 28, 2016.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Flickr gets 80-100 million photos uploaded each day. Each day they put 500 "interesting" photos on their "Explore Flickr" page.

Its not just random, they use an algorithm that is somewhat secret but it involves how many people are viewing the photo already and liking it then there's a penalty if your spamming your photo all over Flickr by adding it to tons of groups. Groups are the way you share photos with others who aren't already following you. So you could put your photo in a group based on the subject or a group based on the camera / lens used, etc. The more groups you add it to the more people will see it but if you're just pushing your photo down people's throats, that's not what Flickr wants.

Any way, my first photo ever got explored today. Its not my favorite photo or one I'm particularly proud of but Flickr's computers thought it was "interesting".

26574833382_1b19215623_b.jpg Shaggy Mane Mushroom (explored) by imahawki, on Flickr

2. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

Nice!

3. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Congrats.

4. Drew

Drew Active Member War Zone Member

Interesting. Very cool.

5. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Active Member Donor

Nice Shot!!

6. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member

Cool stuff. Shots with a depth of field this shallow are always tough for me to look at. I struggle when part of the subject is sharply focused and parts are not. Regardless cool cool stuff.

7. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Congrats CJ, I hope you get lots of likes.

8. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

:2tu::tu:

9. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Congrats, it's a very good shot. :tu:

10. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member

It is a nice shot

11. CJ

12. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant

Cool!

13. CJ

I just wanted to post another photo in this thread... This photo wasn't featured but I thought I'd just keep this thread rolling. I wanted to share this at a very large size because I want to point out the detail. Gear lust is quite common on photography forums like it is on most hobby forums (especially "guy" hobbies). For people that shoot micro four thirds like I do, sensor envy is a common problem. People with consumer level DSLRs have sensors that are a bit bigger and a "pro" level DSLR has a sensor that is fully 2x larger than a micro four thirds camera and both typically offer more megapixels (a direct corollary to sensor size). So often when people get bored or listless in the hobby they abandon the entire reason people buy micro four thirds (kit size) and buy a larger DSLR or a full frame mirrorless camera. Any way, I snapped this shot of my daughter in natural and did some minimal processing (its rare that I do no processing as I've started to develop my own range of style for different image types). I'm just so impressed with the level of detail, the micro-contrast, the depth of field, the creaminess of of the textures, etc.

28280923546_ed04cb84f5_o.jpg Sparkling Eyes by imahawki, on Flickr

14. Bill Stratton

Bill Stratton New Member

I'm a big big fan of eyes, and those are excellent! Nice to have a cute model too!
    Oh, I now see your link "Sparkling eyes". Yep.

15. Bill Stratton

Bill Stratton New Member

I should check into Flickr again. I used to put my stuff there, but then Facebook came along and it was just easier to post there for my friends to see.

16. CJ

17. CJ

18. Tex Thai

Tex Thai New Member

Hi CJ, I guess this is as good a place as any to tell you that I clicked on your Flickriver deal under your posts, and went to look at your photos. Awesome and amazing, some really great photos!!!! The grandpa/farmer guy is so very photogenic, a great subject.
    I enjoyed them, are these just a hobby or do you work in photography?
    God Bless,
    Wayne

19. CJ

Thanks for the kind words. The grandpa/farmer is my dad and he is a farmer. I grew up on a corn, soybean, and cattle farm in southwest Iowa. Dad still farms crops but the cattle are gone.

Photography is just a hobby. I work in IT risk. I was an IT auditor for 16 years and just recently moved into a corporate risk management role over IT risk governance.

Tex Thai likes this.
  20. Tex Thai

Tex Thai New Member

Thanks CJ!
    Speaking of photos, where does one put a photo or avatar here? I couldn't find it. Do I have to post so many times before that is allowed?
    God Bless,
    Wayne