1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

My good friend is no longer with us.

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Drew Mitten, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Teen Killed in Fiery I-85 Crash Remembered

I will miss him. He was extremely smart and kind to everyone. This is not the first time someone at my school has died. but it is a first that a close friend has died. I can't beleive I will be goling to school next year without him. I couldn't have imagined not catching this on the news. If I hadn't....I would have called his cell one day to either find it no longer in service or his mom would pick up and tell me. Such a great guy. He will be missed by everyone.
    Goodbye Thomas.

2. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

How tragic - sorry for your loss Drew...

3. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

I watched that video a couple times now and it angers me that they could even talk about the possibility of him doing drugs or alcohol. He was not like that. But I guess how could they know?

4. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

I imagine its just standard procedure in a case like this... besides not all drugs are illegal... medication can play a factor in accidents

5. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Possible. But I am willing to bet that something on the truck broke.

6. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

I wasn't suggesting anything, only saying that the ordering of a toxicology test is no slight to your friend as:

a) They did not know him
    b) Toxicology reports reveal not only illicit drug or alcohol use but also prescription medication and other chemicals present in the bloodstream indicating possible medical conditions

My wife works for Transportation here in my province and the reasons for these types (crossing the line) accidents typically are, in order :

#1 (by a wide margin) DUI, particularly alcohol
    #2 Driver error/inattention
    #3 Vehicular failure

They are just following routine procedure.

7. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I'm sorry to hear this Drew. It is always sad to lose someone but especially someone so young.

8. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Drew, I am terribly sorry for your loss. If you need to talk to someone about this, please don't hesitate to let your Dad know.

9. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Truly sorry Drew.

10. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

If they don't blame alcohol or drugs then it would have been video games. :roll:

Hang in there, Drew.

11. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Sorry to hear that Drew...it's hard...I've been to 2 funeral's in the last six months, one was for a girl that was 13, one for a girl that was 32, and I know that I will be going to another in the next few months as my first cousin is suffering from his second brain tumor and has been given 3 months to live...he's only 39.

It seems like this young fella will be well remembered and that his time here touched a lot of people...stay strong kiddo!

Jason

12. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Sorry to hear that Drew. I lost a really good friend in high school as well, it's ok to cry!

Hang in there.

13. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

As I told you yesterday Drew, I am very sorry that this happened. Be grateful that you got to meet and know a great person such as him. Never forget the type of person he was to you.

14. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Oops. Double post.

15. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Thank you all for your kind words. it really means a lot to me. He was just so nice.
    Chadci, just so you know my mom called me this morning and I cried while talking to her. It made me feel better to know I was accepting this loss.

Thank you all for your kindness.

16. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Drew:

As someone else mentioned, don't hold back the tears. Crying is a natural process, and is very healthy.

In case you ever doubted it, you have many real friends here who care about you, just as you did at HTT.

Sincerely,

Larry

17. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Perhaps equally important, don't feel guilty about ANY feeling you have. Some people see or hear or think of something that's funny and feel horrible because they're "supposed" to be grieving or something. This is NOT the way human emotion works. If I said something funny here and you laugh, you're not a bad person for doing so. Older people tend to get this and you hear them joking around at funerals etc. Younger people who haven't lost someone close before often don't know what feelings are natural. They all are. Whatever you feel is what you feel, sad, funny, mad, lonely, scared, etc.

18. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

Sorry Drew. I've been where you are a couple times and I know how bad it sucks. <hug> If you want to talk or vent, I'm here.

19. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Drew, I'm saddened to hear of your friend's death. I'm especially sad that he was so young and seemed to be a very good person. :cry:

If it's any consolation, I watched the report twice and IMO the police and announcers were being careful to emphasize that they did not believe illegal drugs or alcohol were involved. Unfortunately, it is necessary to make that distinction these days. Far too many teenage deaths, especially car accidents, do involve alcohol or drugs. In a perverse sort of way, it was refreshing to hear that they do not believe that was the case in this instance. :(

20. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

Drew,

I am very sorry for your loss. :cry: Hang in there, and don't keep any emotions bottled up - but you already know that.