1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

My hobby

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Chris Slade, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Since we moved 2.5 years ago my priorities have changed a bit. I have been doing home renovations with no end in site. Currently installing a 5 zone HVAC system, 20 head sprinkler system and re doing the yard after the sprinkler is installed. Those are just the current projects. ( I do 95% of the labor myself).

My first project was to expand the size of the garage a bit and get it organized. It now has a swisstrax floor, decent cabinets. A sheet metal brake, band saw, plasma cutter, welder (and table), drill press on the way, and a million hand tools, bench grinder, compressor, and of course all of the typical homeowner stuff.

So when I have free time I weld, build strange furniture etc. I don't have much time for it, but I really do enjoy the time I spend down there. Making saw dust, cutting metal, learning to weld etc. It is all pretty darn fun, mostly relaxing, but some times frustrating as hell.

I'll probably try and make my first vlog type video down there and post it here. If I can find something interesting enough to make a short video about.

I'd also be very interested in knowing how you guys all spend your free time outside of home theater and photography.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Looking forward to seeing your videos.

For me, with the severity of my asthma, most things that make any kind of dust or involve chemicals are pretty much off limits. I don't even mow my own lawn. I am handy and can and do fix stuff around the house if it doesn't involve lots of sawdust or drywall dust but I don't consider it a hobby, just maintenance things.

What I do enjoy in my free time:
    • Home theater - you hit on this... and actually movies really, HT is just the means these days. I don't do lots of tinkering. I just want things to work and look/sound good without a lot of effort.
    • Photography - again, you hit on this. This waxes and wanes. I haven't done a photo shoot in months. The only time I've broken out the camera is for first day of school photos. I don't want to do it for money and I haven't ever really settled on an artistic niche to pursue really delving into a particular subject.
    • Video games - I'm not a hardcore gamer, I like moody puzzle games and slower paced mission-based games like the Assassins Creed and Fallout series. I can't do FPS that require extreme speed and dexterity to avoid getting your ass handed to you.
    • Reading - I read almost every day. I don't always carve out multiple hours to make decent progress on a book but I'll usually read for a bit before bed.
    • Cooking, especially BBQ, but in general.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  3. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Besides things related to HT my hobbies are cooking and experimental loudspeaker system design. Oh and I like to tinker with electronics although I'm better at starting a project than I am at finishing it. And drinking, I like to experiment with wines and whiskeys, so that's become a bit like a hobby.

4. Rick C

Rick C Member

Since I retired I have much more time for things I like which is nice.

I like to cook and do the household shopping and cooking (my wife did the first 35 years )
    Of course home theater and music.
    I also like projects that include furniture building, home improvement, small models and general puttering
    Bike riding, basketball, swimming and going to the gym
    Reading
    Coffee - roasting, brewing, trying different beans and brewing approaches

I move from thing to thing with the constant being home theater.

Going to be 65 soon but don't feel all that much different than 20 years ago try to pace myself to not damage or break anything since recovery is not as quick as it used to be!

Been thinking of getting back into some welding and metal projects.

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Where does drinking cross into a hobby? I mean, I like wine... a lot. I don't make my own or anything but I try to keep track of what I like.

6. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

I think it's a hobby in the sense that I like trying random weird bottles that I discover by browsing through a large wine warehouse and I never drink intending to get drunk. I'd rather taste three bottles that all end up being tossed than drink until I am tipsy. So hobby rather than just drinking - or maybe I'm fooling myself to justify being a wino, not sure. :)

7. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Agree David. I have a good size wine store nearby, and I like to have 4 or 5 countries represented in my shopping cart. I don't alway like what I buy, but it's great fun to try new regions and grape varieties. Do you ever take a look at the NY Times Wine School? There's one in today's Food section.

I also like to cook, watch unusual movies, and I play a little golf (badly). I have too many power tools in my workshop, but they've gotten a little dusty.

DYohn likes this.
  8. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

Stereo music, tinkering, little bit of gardening, nature watching, reading up and researching to diverse topics whatever catches my fancy, watching international TV channels mostly for news and culture, watching certain PBS shows such as Masterpiece theater, old movies (when they actually had real dialogs not groans, grunts, syllables of today). I am planning to pick up on my flying again now that FAA has relaxed some medical requirements - my annual FAA medicals were getting costly. Not a hobby but if I have to buy something like an appliance or similar I research it to death before deciding.

9. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Walking on the beach, Salt water fishing, BMWCCA activities, audio, travel and watching various BBC series with my wife. I also cook, but its work and sometimes a joy, but I don't think its a hobby. I also be a wino.

DYohn likes this.
  10. Blake

Blake Member War Zone Member

I camp, hike and ride my bike(s) -- both mountain and road. Super lucky to live close to world class riding for both. I read a bunch, work on the house incessantly and try to instill in my kids a love of the outdoors. Cook outdoors a bit (have a Weber gas grill, BGE and a Traeger smoker -- because who doesn't need all three of those?). Finalizing plans to integrate all of those into a single unified BBQ island -- but we shall see.

11. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Speaker building, assembling vacuum tube amplifiers, motorcycle riding, home improvement/repairs, welding up little projects.

Cooking, eating and ordering up exotic food off the internet - :)

12. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Glad to see the responses. My other hobby is minor hockey. Hopefully my son plays AA this year, which is the highest level for his age. I don't expect hockey to go anywhere for my son, he seems to be more of an academic, but it is the one thing in the winter that gets him moving. I spend a lot of time at the rink and have met a lot of great people through minor hockey, and a few insane people too.

Other hobby is water skiing etc. But I am trying not to get to heavy into this, it gets expensive in a hurry. I mean 6 figure expensive if you really want to gear up. And I want to, but that is not the best place for my money.

I never watch TV except for Game of Thrones, NFL, and F1, tiny bit of NHL. Movies maybe half a dozen a year. I miss seeing all of the content, but I need to work at staying off the sofa.

My main hobby is building in the garage, but it is just a hobby and I am just learning and self teaching. I have made a few things that people really like, but I have not sold anything, and I may never sell anything.

I work outside of my normal job a bit to fund my hobby, I am pretty lucky to be able to do that, but there is only so much time. I think after another couple of years I'll give that up, as time is more valuable to me than money.

Really I think I slipped away form HT because everything was made by someone else. Sure I made a few subs etc. (we all did) but I bought the driver and the amp. I certainly cannot make a receiver, or a television so I think I just got a bit bored with simply assembling a system...... then making a change and assembling again. Photography is on the line, I can't make the gear, but I can kind of control the composition and the processing, so I feel a bit like a made something.

13. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Brewing beer was my major hobby for the past 3 or 4 years taking up at least one or two weekends a month. I've also made a few wines in the past 6 months, including a Riesling that my wife really likes.

But I've also been coaching/helping coach my 8 y/o's softball team of which she's now on an 8U travel team. That's taken up the majority of my other time, and with my 5 y/o starting soccer on Saturday, there goes the rest of it :)

14. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member War Zone Member

I enjoy fixing stuff, Appliances, Cars, I spend a good amount of time tinkering with my 300zx, but I can often be heard muttering "I'm too old for this shit" on hot summer days on my driveway ;) I enjoy using my Audio/Video room, I don't mess with it much, it's generally good enough, and it's the media that's important, though I am getting itchy for a new projector ;) I also enjoy cooking, and like some others here, I enjoy wine and whisky, but in moderation, I enjoy the warm relaxed feeling I get after two or three drinks over the course of an evening, but it's rare I'll have more than 2, and many nights not even 1. I also enjoy hanging out with my dogs, watching them wrestle, playing fetch, tug, chasing them around the yard. I love watching my kids grow up, they've been a great joy, not sure any of the above are "Hobbies", just how I enjoy spending my time and what makes me feel fulfilled/accomplished :)

15. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Fishing both fresh and salt
    Boating
    Cooking
    Music history
    Guitar collecting
    Driving very fast
    Photography
    Stereo music

16. TerryR

TerryR Member

Listening to music (I like stereo music also :))
    Pursuit, knowledge & taste of Bourbon, Rye, Scotch & Irish Whiskey
    Biking, hiking & kayaking
    Touring/RVing/Comfort camping
    Theater (live - as in plays)
    Marching band shows

17. Jake Tillerson

Jake Tillerson New Member

This was fun to read! Might as well add some of my hobbies too.

I enjoy bodybuilding. I don't look like one because...
    I love trying new food. I go to all kinds of restaurants that newly open and being adventurous.
    Traveling is super fun, but only if I have the funds. Sometimes it feels like I'm working enough just to pay for the next piece of equipment (working for a Kaleidescape right now!) or to go visit a new country or state (Alaska is next on my list!)

CJ and DYohn like this.