1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

My own run-in with Engrish.

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by CJ, May 26, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

My mom and her sisters bought a digital picture frame for my grandmother and she said she needed help setting it up. I assumed it was because she didn't RTFM but I was wrong. The device was a total piece of shit, completely worthless, and the manual was in Engrish. Here's an idea from just the box.

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

Be sure to actually read that because my brain actually filled in a couple things for me the first time. I had to read it twice and then everyone in the room was almost peeing their pants laughing.

Not only that but there were misspellings in the actual interface. One of the effects options between pictures in slide show mode was called "sprial".

:lol:

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

All your base are belong to us!

- Steve

3. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

But, their English is better than my Chinese...

4. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

And the first "All your base" usage award on HTF goes to... STEVE TANNEHILL! Come on down Steve, you've won a NEW CAR!!

:D

5. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

err, make that HTL. Sorry.

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

We got my parents the Westinghouse one from BB and it works great...

7. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

And the first faux pas award goes to David Yohn.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

8. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

If you make a goof like that, as long as you edit it before someone else posts in the thread it doesn't show up as edited. And if you do it quickly enough nobody has to know. Not that it's ever happened to me. :wink:

9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

10. Chris White

Chris White New Member

I have a couple of Chinese phd students I work with and their writing isn't much better than what you see on that package. In our department, we call it Chinglish. It's hard to be too critical though, they are trying to translate across two of the most difficult and different languages.