1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

My visit with Mr. Knapp

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Eric, May 25, 2007.

1. Eric

Eric Active Member

Well, not a full write up of my experience (I'll try to add more later), but I figured some here may be interested.

Anyway, I feel like a pretty lucky guy. Max went and freed up his whole evening on Wednesday night (must've tied up his kids and threw them in a closet), so I spent the evening with both Max and Mike. We met up at Mikes and piled in to Max's truck to grab a bite to eat. Mike brought us to a little hole in the wall greek and italian diner. My kind of place! Didn't look like much from the outside (or inside for that matter), but the food was superb and I walked out painfully stuffed with food for about $13. Great food, great conversation. Talk ranged from Max's house hunt to my new home construction to the closing of HTT to the future of HTL to our systems....

Eventually we headed back to Mike's so he could show off his system. And let me tell you, everything you've heard is true! Phenomenal two channel set up and a beautiful FP with an excellent sounding 7.1 system (all DIY speakers there).

As a non-audiophile, all this talk of imaging always sounded like a load of crap to me. I've always just planted my speakers wherever they'd "look" good and enjoy the sound (most of the time with DPL or some other synthesized surround). Figured that there was probably a difference if I had my speakers placed correctly, but it would be so subtle that it wouldn't be worth it. Well, thanks to Mike I now know that when I get in to my new place I'm going to have speakers sitting out in the middle of the living room and I'll spend hours finding the optimal placement. I was simply awestruck at what I was hearing. In fact, at first, I thought Mike was screwing around with me and was running his Roku through his HT system. I was so distracted with trying to figure out where the sounds were coming from that I ended up just closing my eyes and enjoying it. UNBELIEVABLE! I had no idea two channels could put sound in so many different locations! In fact, he played one electronic/techno mix that had me hearing sounds behind me. I'm still floored by it.

I also asked him to play some vinyl for me, since the last vinyl I heard was Disco Duck 20 or so years ago. Just had to hear what everybody raves about. I was impressed to say the least, but probably will manage to avoid the temptation to go vinyl. It sounded really great, but I'm too lazy and cheap to deal with vinyl.

We then moved on to his FP. He has a stunning picture thrown up to a big ass screen (92" diagonal, I think). We watched some Planet Earth on HD-DVD, and it was absolutely incredible. Though I can't give high marks to his Tosh. HD-DVD player. As has been said before, load times are atrocious and at one point it locked up with a disc loaded, but it didn't think it had a disc and the drive wouldn't open...headaches that come along with a 1st gen product I guess. We also watched a few scenes from Aeon Flux. Again, a stunning picture, though I'm pretty sure Mike just did it to sell Max on his $2000 720p projector rather than the 1080p projector Max is looking at.

Then we moved on to SD discs and his Carey upscaling DVD player. We only had time to watch a few scenes from the 5th Element, but it had a superb picture. Not quite as good as HD, but really really close. If we'd had the time I'd have loved to see how with would do with a poorer transfer.

Overall, an excellent adventure for me. Mike is just as gracious as everyone says, and Max has got to be one of the nicest people I've met. I'm looking forward to my next adventure over to the Tampa side of FL, and would recommend to anyone that gets a chance--pay Mike a visit!

2. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II New Member

I'm planning a trip to Case De Knapp in July...can't wait!

3. Chris White

Chris White New Member

You're preachin' to the choir. :) The placement of my speakers and the resulting performance (including imaging) are a direct result of what I learned from Mike. What he has achieved with his setup will always be my standard for what can be achieved with 2-channel.

4. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Yep the first time we visited Chris's house he had two speakers slapped up to the sides of an RPTV and I am sure he has progressed a little since then.

Max

5. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

*drool* would love to visit Mike's house...sigh...

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I have split off the posts that were apparently causing problems. Continue on topic here, and if you want to discuss speaker placement, go to the other thread and keep it general please.

7. Dre J

Dre J New Member

Eric,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences from your visit to Mike's place. Your descriptions have me thinking back to the day I visited Mike several years ago. Great company and good times.

Thanks again for sharing,
    Dre

8. Max Yokell

Hope you make it through town again sometime Dre.

Max

9. Dre J

Dre J New Member

Max,

So do I. Trust me, If I get back to the Tampa area, I'll definitely try to contact you, Mike and Kevin.

We have a remote office in that area now. Hmmm, Sun & Beach & good weather, and ....
    Dre

10. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

I will have that privilege on July 3rd and I am really looking forward to it. :D

11. Eric

Eric Active Member

I'll be on my way down to the keys to do some fishing then. Too bad, I'd have loved to swing over and crash the party.

12. Max Yokell

I will be in upstate NY so I won't be making that one.

Max

13. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

I'm sorry the timing didn't work out better. :(