1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Mystery?

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Drew, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

I'm not opposed to aquariums in general, but I don't think it is a good idea to keep whales or whale sharks in captivity. Whale sharks especially are just too damned big and their natural behavior is completely different from what an aquarium will allow them.

3. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

I have been to the aquarium it is a nasty place. It is dirty crowded and it smells. I hated it there. I can't beleive any fish in there are alive with trash being littered everywhere and it's just disgusting.

4. Randy Anderson

Randy Anderson New Member

The article doesn't specifically state that the whale sharks were, but most whales in captivity are rescued from other facilities or in the wild.

If the animals are given sufficient space to promote their natural behaviour, captivity has its place as a vehicle to promote awareness and conservation.

Where I get my back up is if I see a zoo or an aquarium that does not allow the animals to interact with each other, in a habitat size space AND/OR allows the public to interact in an unnatural way.

5. Randy Anderson

Randy Anderson New Member

If this is indeed the case, we are once again failing the animal kingdom. Surprise surprise :roll: :evil:

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

What aquarium Drew? The aquariums in Omaha and Chicago are beautiful, clean and the animals appear to be thriving.

7. Drew

This is in Atlanta though, so.... ya know.

8. CJ

Check yer fishin' pole at da door.

9. CJ

A necropsy? Does autopsy only apply to certain species (or just humans even)? What about postmortem?

Wait, I just read this...
    Well, I'm pretty sure I can tell them the cause of death.

10. Erik

Erik Member War Zone Member

I have been there twice, and don't recall trash or nasty smells(aside from fish smelling nasty by nature). Maybe the trash and smell was from those damn teenagers. :D

11. Drew

BWAHAHAHAAHA

12. CJ

Seriously, if they euthanized the other one, there's your link. I swear, people from Georgia...

13. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Autopsy is specific to humans, necropsy when referring to any other animal. Post-mortem is a general term referring to anything that happens to a body after death, human or animal. It may be an autopsy or necropsy, it could also be mutilation, i.e., "The body was mutilated post-mortem.".

14. CJ

Thanks.

15. Chris White

Chris White New Member

How big a toilet does it take to flush a fish that big??