1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Need a new Monitor

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Zak, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Zak

Zak Active Member War Zone Member

Laptop screen is on the fritz and while i design up the office i need to buy a monitor for the laptop to use until i get everything finished. What is the best monitor i can get for say under $300? Has to have a nice resolution, at 1600x1200. Anything out there in this price range? it's been years since i did network admin/help desk stuff and have not been keeping up with what are the good brands now. Really like the Mac monitors but they are a bit out of my price range. After I get the monitor then i'll save up for the computer.

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I have an Apple 23-inch cinema display that's great (full 1920x1200 HD resolution) and a ViewSonic that is 1680x1050 native resolution--the Mac has the horsepower to scale HD to it without any glitches, but I would have preferred full 1080p.

The ViewSonic widescreen is quite affordable, and keeps falling from the original $350 at Costco to under $300--and I think there have been new models released with an integrated camera and microphone.

The only thing I have noticed is that the brightness is slightly inconsistent across the surface of the Viewsonic screen, whereas the Apple Cinema Display is Rock Solid. Then again, the Viewsonic was a fraction of the Apple's original price (I got one before the price dropped, doh.)

Oh, I have been using the Pantone/Gretag Macbeth huey with the pro software update to calibrate the displays with great results. When I slide windows between the Viewsonic and the Apple, the colors do match.

- Steve

3. cjd

cjd New Member

So, do you care about color accuracy? And are you looking for LCD or for CRT?

At the higher resolutions, the inexpensive monitors are all 6bit/pixel panels (not true color, but they fake it decently if you're not particularly demanding)

IIRC at 1600x1200 Dell had the best deal. Not sure you're going to find an 8bit panel under $300, but not sure. 1920x1200 no way - it's still about $700 to get a good quality panel (I love my BenQ)

1280x1024 you can get some very good deals. Hyundai L90+ has superb color out the door.

C

4. Zak

THanks for the replies. I've been eyeing that Viewsonic, and Costco has it now i believe for $305 or something like that. I really want to stay at a minimum of 16xx res as that is what my laptop runs now on it's 17" screen and it's a beautiful image.

Color accuracy is importmant to me, but not to the point that i can spend 500+ on a monitor. Has to be LCD to fit on our current worksurface (kitchen countertop) as i'm slowly building our office. My wife is an architect and we use photoshop a lot, as well as 3D/BIM software for design. Tough part is going to be building a new computer to replace this laptop. Oh well, i got almost 5 years out of it.

5. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I would definitely get some kind of colorimeter to go with it, then. The huey has proven very useful, and it's canned calibration works on both the Mac and the PC.

The Viewsonic is definitely not as good as the Apple Cinema Display, but then again for a third of the price, I don't expect it to be.

- Steve

6. cjd

cjd New Member

You should really be absolutely positive you're getting an 8bit panel then. In ths sizes you're requesting, the $300 price point is going to be tough.

The Viewsonic is not such a beast. CAD will be fine, but photoshop work really should have a true 8bit (or higher) display. And calibration.

C

7. Zak

8. cjd

cjd New Member

No experience with it. A couple reviews I dug up seem to say it's a little uneven on the backlight, a little bright overall, but otherwise one of the better deals in a 20" widescreen format.

C

9. Zak

Thanks C. I could not find if it was an 8bit or 5bit monitor. They have a bunch on their refurbished site for $269. Not to shabby.

Is 12ms better or worse of a refresh rate then 5ms?

10. Shane

Shane Active Member

Anything under 16 is generally considered unnoticable by the human eye.

11. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

Chris,

What did you use to calibrate yours? I've been considering one of those Spyder type devices.

Graeme