1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Need Harmony help

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Saurav, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Figured I'd just ask instead of wading through the Harmony forum :)

So... I got my Harmony 360 yesterday. Setup was pretty simple, and works well, except for one thing. It mapped some buttons on the LCD to commands to the PJ - changing aspect ratio, etc. That button works, it pulls up the correct menu on the PJ. But then the up/down keys are still going to the Xbox, and moving through the DVD's menu. Which kinda made sense, so I switched to the Devices mode and selected the PJ, but the up/down keys are still going to the Xbox. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to use different keys when navigating the PJs menu? Or change the setup somehow and tell it what commands to send? I thought in Devices mode, when I'm in the PJ, it should be sending PJ up/down commands.

Anyway... wondering if anyone here has run into a similar issue with some other combination of source and display components.

I think I'll enjoy this remote. I didn't mind having 3 remotes to turn on and off so much, but it bugged me that if I wanted to bring up the menu at the end of a movie, I had to turn on the 360 remote, wait for it to boot up, then bring up the menu and scroll to the end to get the DVD menu. Now it's one button to do that, and to pause/play etc., which is nice :)

2. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

Sorry haven't seen the 360 but hopefully it's similar to the 890.

I suspect that you'll find that you need to customize the hard buttons (up/down) when you are setting up the PJ device. In the software for the 890 there was a tab that was labled "devices" on that tab you should be able to select the PJ and customize the buttons. If you want to change the operation of the buttons for an activity you need to select the activity on the "activity" tab and customize the buttons there. If you want access to the up/down function in an activity you will most likely need to program those into the LCD screen since you probably would want the Xbox to still be mapped to those buttons.

As an observation, the help feature in the online software was reasonably good and pointed me to some of the less obvious features and functions that the remote was capble of.

Hope that gives you some bread crumbs to follow....

3. Saurav

Thanks. Just making sure I wasn't missing something obvious. I checked the settings for the PJ device, and the up/down say they're mapped to up/down on the PJ... but worst case I could make it learn the menu navigation commands.

4. Tom Morgan

Tom Morgan New Member

I called their tech support and the dude was great. He may be the only good one , but he got the discreet codes for my Mits tv inputs which made it work very much better. Good luck

5. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

I am pretty sure your problem is this:

Button mappings in device mode are stored separately from the button mappings in any given activity mode.

Run the software and edit your *activities* to remap those buttons and you should be fine.

6. Saurav

Well, I'd tried it in both the activity and when I was in that device, and neither worked. I didn't really want them re-mapped in Activity mode, because I do want those to go to the DVD player.

Anyway, I went ahead and learned those commands from the PJ's remote to the device mode on the Harmony. Haven't actually tried it out yet to see if it works :)

7. Tim K

Tim K New Member

It may be an obvious question.....but after making the changes are you sure you uploaded them to the remote? You actually have to click the yellow "update remote" button.

8. Saurav

After making the changes I've uploaded them to the remote, but like I said in the last post, I haven't tried those buttons after that, so I don't know if they're working now or not :)

9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

You don't test the changes? Don't you do software development? I hope its nothing mission critical.

10. Saurav