Never thought I would say this "Ahem"

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Jack, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Ok, ok, I did it. I was at BB and saw that they dropped the price of the Toshiba A2 to $299 so into the cart it went.
    Brought it home, unboxed it and it sure looked small and...well less sturdy that my other machine.
    Hooked it up via one (1) power cord and one (1) HDMI cable, plugged her into the UPS and was off to the races.

First up, "Batman Begins". Visually some of the scenes were as close to looking through a window as I have ever seen. When we ride the mono rail downtown and view all the buildings, it seemed almost perfect. Stunning really. There was a nice crispness and this movie, for whatever reason did not do the same thing as King Kong, I saw no real problems with CGI.

The machine, while slower than my Sony or Denon, was actually pretty quick once fired up. It loaded, recognized the HD disc and went to town. Love the interactive graphics while the movie is playing and it has thus far worked perfectly. I have found only one quirk so far and that is when you stop the disc it will not resume from where it was stopped. I am not sure if that is a quirk or just a different design than I am used to.

Also ran through "Rundown" and "12 Monkeys". Image and sound in "Rundown" was very good while "12 Monkeys" was merely good but really not that much better than the DVD.

When this machine was not shining (he he) in the video department, it rocked my in the audio department. "Batman" with the True HD soundtrack through the HDMI was simply hypnotic. I cannot give it high enough praise. The subtleties of the lair, the bombastic explosions of the fight scenes all came through with clarity I had not heard before. "Rundown" was a sonic masterpiece although only encoded in Dolby Plus, and I see no meter to tell me what the actual Bit Rate is. I was completely immersed.

I am sold, it will stay and I will enjoy the heck out of it for a very long time. Also, although I am not sure it will be used this way, when plugged into my tube dac, it makes for a heck of a good CD player. A Bonus !!

More thoughts to come as I get used to it.

2. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Congrats!

I have a feeling that alot of people are just like you are hopping into HD DVD at the new price points. Don't forget to send in for your free movies!

3. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

Excellent Jack! I've been otherwise preoccupied with the tunes system, but I'm ready to get back into the video side and go hd disk and then fp. I'm glad to hear your positive experiences with hd. I may just jump right away based on what you just said. Enjoy babe!

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Yep, while I'm not what most people would call sane, I even upgraded due to the HD-A2 pricing. I'll be curious to see how this impacts the war.

5. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright New Member

CJ,
    I believe you also have the A1 and a Sanyo Z4 projector (720P). Do you output at 720 from the A2, or 1080i? With the A1 and my Sanyo, 1080i to the projector seems to look better.

6. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

The A1 was known to have picture issues with anything BUT 1080 at launch and I THOUGHT they fixed it with a firmware update but I continued to do 1080. I haven't done any tests with 720p vs. 1080i on the A2 yet but I may have some time to do that tonight.

7. Jack

Artie
    There are few things I recommend without question and this is one of them.
    It wont be more fun that what you have been into, but it will look and sound very good. :D

8. TimB

TimB New Member

I swore I would hold off til this shook out ... but you guys :twisted: are really tempting me ...

9. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

It shouldn't even be a question anymore for anyone into HT.

If you count the 5 free movies, it is like picking up a player for $150. A player that offers next gen performance, superior audio and solid upconversion functionality.

http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com/_pdf/perfectoffer_advert.pdf

10. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright New Member

Yeah, I don't think they improved 720p output any with the latest firmware (2.2). The main problem I notice is that the picture doesn't seem to look very smooth compared to 1080i.

11. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Nice Jack!! I'm sure you'll get tons of enjoyment out of it!

12. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, if you needed a DVD player now, I don't know why you wouldn't just buy one. $250 isn't bad for a DVD player price any way, much less hedging on one of the HD formats.

13. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Congrats Jack!

I can wait for the dual format Samsung.I can wait for the dual format Samsung.I can wait for the dual format Samsung.I can wait for the dual format Samsung.I can wait for the dual format Samsung.I can wait for the dual format Samsung.I can wait for the dual format Samsung.I can wait for the dual format Samsung.I can wait for the dual format Samsung.I can wait for the dual format Samsung.I can wait for the dual format Samsung.I can wait for the dual format Samsung.I can wait for the dual format Samsung.I can wait for the dual format Samsung.I can wait for the dual format Samsung.I can wait for the dual format Samsung.I can wait for the dual format Samsung.I can wait for the dual format Samsung.I can wait for the dual format Samsung.I can wait for the dual format Samsung.

Sorry to repeat myself, but patience is taking some effort. :)

14. Alfer

Alfer New Member

You're a wise wise man Chris...keep up the vigil!

15. Jack

Frankly Chris, I agree with you, wait for the dual format Samsung. The movies will still be here and you will have as much fun as we are now only it will be future fun. So in reality its all the same.

I had pretty much the same reaction until I saw that Sony is going to release a machine at about half the price of the present one which would put it in the under $ 500 range at the shelf, and when I added the price of the Sony and the Toshiba together, it came to less than the price of the Samsung. I was trying to use by stunning mathematical skills to buy something I wanted while convincing myself to wait.
    Math won and I am having fun now. Waiting for the cue of HD discs from Netflix to show up. Now that will be fun.

In all reality, the clarity of the movies is not the main issue as many of the movies will not be THAT different. I mean the best films will have the greatest differences but average transfers will be just that, average.

The think that grabbed my eye and has held it, well 2 things really, is the depth of field in longer shots due to the added resolution and the color palette. While "Rundown" is not a great film, it is fun, but it is filmed in the jungle and the colors are in a word, stunning. Much richer and more expansive that anything I have seen on regular DVD upconverted or not.
    The second big thing for me anyway, is the sound. The high bit rates just allow for more music and effects, loud or soft, to come through as if they merely emanate from a point in space rather than being shoved through a speaker cone.

I think it is just a substantially more involving experience period.

But you should wait...after all we have time. :wink:

16. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I have been spouting this since the DAY I got my machine. People are still not focusing ALL of the improvements. Hell it took months to get some people to not just factor in ONLY resolution and to get to the color palette stage.

17. Alfer

Alfer New Member

One other great benefit for awaiting a dual format player is the idea that you don't have to have all those extra inputs on your A/V receiver or TV's...not to mention the extra shelf space needed for two machines.

It will be interesting to see if the dual format player becomes the wave of the future of the format war or just a band aid.

My nephew and I hit BB this weekend..and aside from getting constantly annoyed by the "anything in particular you are looking for sir?" speech 4+ blue shirts asked in a 20 minute time, I again found Blu Ray to be the demo of choice..sort of...they had an end cap going with trailers..and in Magnolia they had a Blu player set up on the giant new Mitsu DLP, but all the screen had showed was the "Blu-Ray" screensaver...

No sign of active HD-DVD demo's or marketing signs....Somehow I think BB is solidly in bed with Blu.

18. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I agree Alfer. Though, as I stated somewhere, my local BB was sold out of HD-A2s but had BD players falling off the shelves. Its not a tough choice when you go in there to buy a new TV and then you're faced with $299 & $100 in free movies vs. $800-$1200. Hopefully there are not deal breaker issues with the "cheap" Sony BD player that is coming out late summer/fall.

19. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

Absolutely, the increased color depth is what grabbed me the most on my setup (which only does 720p natively).

Sony is paying a *lot* of money to BB for these displays.

20. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Sony is putting a lot of eggs in one basket, no? I mean, they are pricing the PS3 lower to try and gain BD market share and now that doesn't seem to be the silver bullet they'd hoped so they're releasing a cheaper BD player and before its even out they're announcing a a $100 price cut? So now no one will probably buy a PS3 as a BD player so those sales could tumble even more than they already have. Yeesh, there have to be some Sony execs wondering where the bottom is :doh: