1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

New Audio Formats from HD-DVD, but have older Receiver

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by JoeM, Jun 14, 2007.

1. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

I recently took the HD-DVD plunge. I have an older receiver that supports 5.1 and DTS. I'm using optical digital out from my Toshiba HD-A2. Some of the newer HD disks are outputting newer formats like TrueHD that I assume are not supported by my receiver. I've not compared all of the audio options on some of those movies yet, but do get audio from all that I recall testing. Should I just be selecting 5.1 or DTS until I end up with a receiver or processor that understands the newer formats?

2. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Yep unless you have a receiver with a 6 channel input and one of the HD-DVD models with an analog output then you are stuck doing what you are doing.

Max

3. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

You could select TrueHD on the disc, and the HD-A2 will take the TrueHD off of the disc and convert it to DD or DTS for you on the fly.

I am not sure if this would be "better" then just using the DD+ track on the disc. You can probably experiment to find out.

If you want the TrueHD audio with the HD-A2, you will need a receiver that supports HDMI.