1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

New HD sound settings?

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Greg W, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Greg W

Greg W New Member

So I got my RS760 Ultra HT speakers this week. I've ordered an onkyo TX-SR805 reciever, but am currently using a Yamaha RXV661 (I bought the yamaha first, then returned it to get the 805, and Video Only was nice enough to let me continue using it while I wait for the 805 to arrive). I have everything hooked up and tested, in other words, the speakers are all correctly plugged in as ascertained by the test tones and phase checking, and some surround DVD audio discs I have.

Now, the problem. I've been out of the HT scene since my divorce in 2k3, back when DD 5.1 and DTS were the kings of the hill, as it were. So all these new HD audio formats are unfamiliar to me, along with their associated settings. I have my HD dvd players (ps3 and XA2) set to auto-select the sound output, and the yamaha set to 'straight', which seems to mean that it simply outputs the sound with no processing. IF the ps3 and XA2 are doing the processing, this shouldn't be a problem...however, it seems to me that my rear surrounds are not firing nearly enough as they should be. It's painfully obvious during scenes that I know they should be, for example, big explosions and stuff. I also bought a DTS-HD demo blu-ray disc, and there's very little action from the rear surrounds during any of the scenes.

Now, these are big, gorgeous speakers, I'm in love with them already. The speakers aren't the problem. My noob-ness, I suspect, is. I am nearly certain that the problem is some setting that I am missing somewhere in the food chain. I tried the 'surroud decode' setting on the Yammy and that got the rears active...but the sound stage then sounded contrived, so I don't think that's it, either. Also, the yammy displays 'pro logic' on that setting, and I think that that can't be correct.

Soooo...any suggestions? Should I take the settings in the players out of auto and set it to something specific? Or am I missing something on the yamaha?

Thanks guys.

2. Eric

Eric Active Member

I can only provide some info on the PS3 front. If you're sending your audio out through the TOSlink (optical digital), you're restricted to standard DD and DTS, in which case you tell the PS3 to output bitstream. If you're sending the audio via HDMI, I'm absolutely useless.

3. Greg W

Greg W New Member

Ah, yes, I should have specified, sorry.

Both players are sending sound via HDMI.

4. Shane

Shane Active Member

Not completely true. You can output 2 channel pcm and extract that into Pro Logic, Pro Logic II or Prologic IIx.

The Xa2 has some bass issues with the latest firmware. I'll do some digging on that fix. I would check High Def Digest's news section as well.

5. Eric

Eric Active Member

I stand corrected.....just didn't assume when he was talking about HD audio he meant DPL and the like. :p

6. Shane

Shane Active Member

PCM I consider HD audio :)

It is lossless uncompressed.

7. Greg W

Greg W New Member

Shane, any suggestions for what my problem might be?

8. Shane

Shane Active Member

Will your Yamaha accept PCM via HDMI? Some don't.

9. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Shane,
    I am fairly certain that his does in fact accept PCM through HDMI but he still might have some setting somewhere set wrong and could be sending a stereo signal.

Greg do you have a center channel, it is getting any sound or is it maybe your speakers are imaging well and tricking you to think it is?

Max

10. Greg W

Greg W New Member

Shane, it does accept PCM.

Max, Yes, I have a center channel, and it's getting sound just fine. Hmm...I'll have to do some more testing for your imaging theory. My initial response is no, that can't be, but I'm going to check anyway, lol. I'm no expert, for sure.

11. Shane

Shane Active Member

I'm beginning to believe there is a setting issue involved. Most likely from the PS3 or HD player. The front panel of your receiver should mention PCM.

12. Marc S.

Marc S. New Member

hmm

Well I will throw this out in the mix. Is it possible that you just need to bump up the gain for the surround speakers?

Just a thought....

13. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

You should be measuring the level with test tones and a meter, not just bumping it up until it sounds good to you. If you haven't measured, do that first.