New phone... maybe not an iPhone

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Chris Slade, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I have only ever owned iphones as far as smart phones go. I have a 6s now I think, smashed screen and camera, I break every single one I buy, case or no.

These things are getting expensive. So I am looking for a decent phone with iphone type functionality with a cheaper price tag. I could not care less about having the new or coolest phone.

So who is using a non iPhone and is happy with it?

2. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I have a Google Pixel 2 on order and should be here this weekend. This phone retails for $649. The Google Pixel 2 XL can be had for $200 more.

Pixel 2, Ask more of your phone - Google Store

My current phone is an LG G5 from 2016. I believe the phone was $629 retail when I bought it. I had it on T-Mobile for about 6 months, paid it off, unlocked it, then went to Straight Talk.

One of the most talked about Budget Phones with bells and whistles is the Motorola G5 which can be purchased for around $200 unlocked. It has a 5.2 inch screen, 32 Gig internal storage, LTE,

Moto G5 Plus XT1687 32GB Smartphone (Unlocked, Lunar Gray) - US Warranty - Newegg.com

capsuleri likes this.
  3. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Check out a Moto Force. Polycarbonate screen that can survive 12' drops on to concrete and being run over by steal scissor lift wheels. Add a lifeproof or similar case and it will be the best chance of a phone surviving you using it.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Won't be as tough as Force but I've been really happy with my LG G6. They haven't been selling well so they are hugely discounted right now. Koodo is selling them for $500.

5. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

You could also look at the iPhone SE.

6. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

The key, no matter what you get is to get a good case. I generally buy wallet cases like - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0719K4319/?tag=homthelou-20

I have an iPhone 6 now (probably for around 3 years) and likely will be upgrading in the near future. I usually will buy a few of those type cases (some in real leather and some in faux leather). I bought 3 originally for the iPhone 6 and after time in and out of the pocket they will wear out or the plastic insert which holds the phone will break a bit. I bought a new case like that for $10 a couple of months back for the iPhone 6 to hold me over until I upgrade.

7. nolan

nolan Member

I've had the huawei p8 lite for a year now and I'm pretty happy with it. I've dropped it a few times now (with and without case) and it's still working fine. However, the battery isn't the absolute best. You can go one full day if you're using it semi-heavily but if you're a gamer and/or like to watch a lot of videos, I'd recommend getting a powerbank. But considering the cheap price, you can definitely get that and a case. Unfortunately, there aren't as many cases for all these android phones as there are for iPhones but if you look on amazon/ebay you'll definitely find something!

8. Phil A

Almost 2 weeks back I finally upgraded my iPhone 6. I waited until I saw what deals my carrier (Verizon) would do on the 'X' and see if there would be any deals on the '8 Plus.' They had deals if one wanted to go to the unlimited plan. Really don't need that. Many places have wifi and I have carryover data. Right now with 13 days left in my billing cycle, I have 2.65GB available and its largely been like that since I went to the 2GB plan with carryover. So I ended up with the '7 Plus' 128GB model. Got a $149 trade in (in the form of a gift certificate) for the iPhone 6 and there was $100 off the phone. I mainly use a phone for email and calls and texts when I'm out and sometimes will also look up stuff on the web but rarely do anything exotic with them. I have my Ooma VoIP configured to sent me an email with the voicemail attached if I get a message at home. Size wise with the width, I like the plus models. When the plus models first came out, I thought they were too big. After seeing them around on friends who have them. I've also played around with Android phones (mainly helping others) and they more or less do the same thing. I have a couple of cheapo Android tablets, one of which was bought for my old Oppo BDP-93 for the media control App as they don't have an IOS app. I use wallet type cases on the iPhones and have for years and have never had an issue. I already bought 3 brand new ones for the '7 Plus' and these are sitting in my drawer and picked up an Otterbox Folio wallet one at Walmart for $45. I had the '6' for about 3 years and probably, unless something happens to the '7 Plus' (and I bought the extended manufacturers warranty for $3/month), I'll probably have it just as long or longer.

9. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

I’m still using my iPhone 5S and don’t use it for a lot. I like the size and hope that maybe the SE will get upgraded in the next year and maybe then make the switch. If that doesn’t happen maybe the iPhone 7 or 8, but I’m really intrigued by the cameras on the new 8 Plus and X. The biggest drawback with those, and all the 6 and higher models, is that they don’t fit into a front pant pocket well.

10. Phil A

In FL, I mostly wear cargo shorts with big pockets. But a week or so ago it was a bit cooler for a day and the '7 Plus' fit in the regular jeans pocket. The plus is about 3/4 of an inch taller and a bit less than half an inch wider vs. the normal iPhone (iPhone - Compare Models). If one is talking about the 'X,' it is bigger than the regular iPhone but smaller than the 'Plus.'

11. Phil A

Here's a little diagram:

iphone-x-compare-1.jpg

12. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

interesting about the 7Plus. I have an X on order for the wife and will get a chance to play with it next month.

13. Phil A

I decided based on the price difference for them wanting to clean out the old phones and for me there isn't enough difference (and I have 128GB one vs. a 64GB I'd get with the 8 unless I wanted to go to 256GB) - iPhone 8 Plus vs. iPhone 7 Plus: Every New Feature Compared

There's also a bunch of reports about the more fragile nature of having more glass for the wireless charging (which I personally don't care about) - e.g. Chinese Apple fans show smashed iPhone X on first day | Daily Mail Online

I had my iPhone 6 for about 3 years and unless something happens I may have the 7 Plus as long at least. I have a couple of iPad minis and Android Tables around the same size of the minis and even find for certain web searches I find the displays a bit small to my liking (I use a desktop with a 24 inch screen currently and before lightning damage at the end of last March my display was 25.5 inches) vs. what I'm used to. I had a small old cheapo (Windows Vista) laptop which bit the dust with the lightning damage too and if I sat in my backyard, I'd use the laptop a couple of times/year and found that more to my likely vs. the small tablets. At some point, I'll buy a refurb laptop that isn't overly expensive.

14. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

I just had my 5S replaced because of a bulging battery and didn’t opt for the $300+ upgrade to the SE because I didn’t think it was worth it. As for the all glass X, we had iPhone 4S’s that were also all glass and didn’t have any issues with breakage. Time will tell how the X works out... I did just pick up a 12.9” iPad in hopes that the new File system in iOS 11 would be a real file system but alas it’s not. Anyway, I hope to use it for photo editing in the field (with the pencil). My desktop is a 34” ultra wide which I love and is a real pleasure to use for photos and everything else. Over the past few years we’ve switched over to an all Apple ecosystem at home and I’m very happy with the way it all plays together. I do miss the PC for all of the software that’s available but have Paralells running on my desktop so I can still pop in for the few times I need to mess around in the Windows environment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. Phil A

Saw the big iPads at Sam's Club. Peaked my interest. I use the mini with my Lumin Music server in the main system. I have to think about what I'm going to do over time with it. I use their (Lumin) App for now but can use many others. I need to look into what if anything additional processing (e.g. Roon, JRiver) would do to the sound.

16. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

Split screen on the big iPad is nice and each window is the size of a mini. Watching shows on the big pad is great and our old iPad 4 seems tiny now. For remote control etc. I expect the mini and/or a phone would be more practical.

17. GSmitty

GSmitty Member

We've an assortment of phones, swapping SIM's back and forth based upon need. ATT for my wife, and MIL, iPhone 7 for the wife and old and try Samsung S5 for MIL. I have Verizon, and have always had Motorola Droid like phones, due to the better antennas. Last time around, I went with the Samsun S6. We also have an embarrassing qty of DATA only devices (ATT Car Connect Mobley (X's2) for 22GB each. Unite Explore MiFi with MIMO external ports, with Unlimited Data (So we can get the $25 off DirecTV for the RV. One ZTE Z-917 with Millenicom (T-Mobile) 20GB, which we turn off/on as needed. Usually used while traveling in Canada, as T-Mobile has an agreement with the three big carrier's in Canada - so we find we have much higher odd's of good Data Download speeds. And finally we're still fighting with ATT about a canceled Rural Internet 250GB for $60 plan - expect we'll lose the battle on this one, but tilting my sword at that Blue Emblemed Windmill:)!)

We travel in the RV 6-8 months a year, so having many tools in the data connection tool box is important to us.

If shopping today. I'd relook at the Motorola (I can tell, due to some of the locations we frequent, that the Samsung S6 is not quite as strong at signal collecting, then the older Motorola Droid RAZR Max that it replaced. With Grandfathered Unlimited Data - we use this phone quite a bit on Hotspot/Tethered.) and compare them against the newer Samsung and Google phones.

One thing nice about technology, is it's always changing:)!
    Best to all,
    Smitty

18. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Active Member War Zone Member

We just decided to switch to Verizon yesterday since my wife’s territory includes parts of rural NC where she may drive an hour or more with no cell service on T-Mobile. We originally were not going to get the iPhone X any time soon, but since we were switching and already had 7+’s we decided it made sense to get the latest technology. Our ship date is supposedly on or before 12/13 so we shall see.

19. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

I picked up the iPhone X on black Friday my local Apple store just happened to have a few in stock.
    I wasn't sure about the size before purchase because I really love the huge screen on my 7 Plus.
    After using the X for a week I can say, I'm sold. It's very pocketable unlike the Plus size, which was the only thing I didn't like about the Plus.
    The overall screen size feels about the same as the Plus. I think Apple chose a great in between size with this one.

20. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

My wife’s iPhone X arrived just before Thanksgiving and I’d have to agree with you. I like it!!