1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

NEXT

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Tyson, May 14, 2007.

1. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Has anybody else here seen this besides me?

I did a search here and at HTT and came up with nothing. I thought I remembered people talking about it over at HTT in a thread.

It's movies like this that make me want to ignore 'pro' reviewers entirely, even if only to use them as a barometer of sorts. NEXT (I think it's in all caps) got pretty bad reviews for the most part.

It's no Blade Runner as far as Philip K. Dick stories-turned-into-movies go, but I did not think it was as bad as most critics. I was caught up in the 'time' aspect of it all from beginning to end, thought the actors did decent jobs, and it was very fast paced and pretty much hooked me in from the beginning.

Anyone seen it?

2. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Has anybody else here seen this besides me?

I did a search here and at HTT and came up with nothing. I thought I remembered people talking about it over at HTT in a thread.

It's movies like this that make me want to ignore 'pro' reviewers entirely, even if only to use them as a barometer of sorts. NEXT (I think it's in all caps) got pretty bad reviews for the most part.

It's no Blade Runner as far as Philip K. Dick stories-turned-into-movies go, but I did not think it was as bad as most critics. I was caught up in the 'time' aspect of it all from beginning to end, thought the actors did decent jobs, and it was very fast paced and pretty much hooked me in from the beginning.

Anyone seen it?

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

No such thing as a 'pro' review, just a person with an opinion, which I always pay no attention to, there worthless.

As for the film, I plan on a blind buy.

4. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I will have to check it out, not sure I have heard of it.

Did some research,

http://imdb.com/title/tt0435705/

5. Shane

Shane Active Member

Looks like another "Paycheck" film. Paycheck had an interesting concept.

6. Eric

Eric Active Member

I thought this was an OK movie, Nick Cage and all. I caught it at the theater, I'll probably break down and buy it.

7. chad

I really used to like Nick Cage, but his recent offerings have not done anything for me. I don't even remember what his last good movie was, probably The Rock or Con Air.

8. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I'd have to agree...I think the last decent movie he was in (for me at least) was the 80's flick "Raising Arizona"...since then he has offered up mainly B-movie schlock IMO.

9. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I'm not argueing against your opinions, but here are some of the movies that Cage has been in that I have liked since Raising Arizona:

1987 Moonstruck
    1989 Vampire's Kiss
    1990 Wild at Heart
    1993 Red Rock West
    1994 Guarding Tess
    1995 Leaving Las Vegas
    1996 The Rock
    1997 Face/Off (when I'm in the mood for total escape)
    1999 Bringing Out the Dead
    1999 8MM
    2002 Adaptation
    2003 Matchstick Men
    2005 The Weather Man
    2005 Lord of War

I think that is a list of good movies, some much better than others. He seems to be one of those love or hate actors. I've never had a problem with him and usually think he is either very good or at least very entertaining in his movies, while his movies fall into those same two categories, along with the stinkers. He seems to do more serious stuff followed by big action, popcorn movies, etc.

10. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Hey....it's got Jessica Biel for eye candy...it can't be all bad! :p

I have liked most Cage movies (have yet to see GR)...some were turds but I don't necessarily think that was Cage's fault as much as it was writing....I always liked Gone In 60 Seconds too...but I think that was partly drooling over the cars...and Angelina.

Jason

11. chad

Tyson,I enjoy 8mm. I just could not get into Adaptation. Matchstick Men was GREAT, I thought The Weather Man was a stinker and I have not yet seen Lord of War, is it good?
    Some of the eariler titles were great, but I was just refering to the past 10 years or so. Leaving Las Vegas was probably his best, tied with Honeymoon in Vegas ( kidding)

12. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

I do believe there was an Oscar somewhere on that list.

13. Shane

Shane Active Member

Lord of War was incredible.

Nick Cage also did World Trade Center and National Treasure(both I liked).

14. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I also enjoyed Lord of War. It did remind me of an arms dealer version of "Blow" with Johnny Depp, but I think Lord of War was probably a better movie. The main thing going for Blow was Johnny Depp, IMO. I'm not sure how good of a movie it would have been without him.

I do think that a lot of critics do not like him. Possibly the nepotism aspect? Who knows.

15. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Yes, there is. Outstanding job, too.

16. chad

I will have to check out Lord of War. I am back and forth on my desire to watch World Trade Center but not because of who is in it.

17. Shane

Shane Active Member

I had the same problems because of who directed it and his typical political agenda but he didn't impose it on us this time.

FWIW, I thought United 93 was a better film.

18. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

I basically liked it. the idea that someone could see 2 minutes ahead was intriguing, and it was played out well by the screenwriter, director, and mr. cage. good entertainment.

19. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

Agree about LoW, excellent film and performance by cage. WTC was terrible - schamltzy exploitation, not 1/100 as good as United 93.

Also enjoyed NT, but last year's "wicker man" was absurdly stupid.