1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

No more noisy move theaters

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by chad, May 31, 2007.

1. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

The full story

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/hughes/13140

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Oh my god, being able to report disturbances anonymously and without leaving the theaters would rock. Problem is in experience they might as well just go back to having ushers in the back of the theater the entire time because they'd be getting paged to every theater continuously.

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member War Zone Member

If it was also equipped with a TASER it'd be of real value. :D

Pete

4. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

I ask what's wrong with going back to ushers... except of course that cinema ticket prices are already high enough.

5. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

Great idea, as long as there's a way to prevent abuse.

6. Bill Stratton

Bill Stratton Active Member

The local news here called it the "tattletale device". Still, seems like a good thing to try.

7. Stefan

Stefan Active Member War Zone Member

I think the main problem with ushers is that no one would care. The type of person who is going to be a disturbance to the theater is not going to care about the pimply faced high school kid who just started working there.

Stefan

8. chad

Good point Stefan. I guess my thought process is that if they really want to save movie theaters they are going to have to do something. Maybe go by a three strikes and your out rule. Maybe have Robocop as their usher.. I don't know but it's not cheap to go to a movie theater and if I pay my hard earned money and leave only knowing the conversation of those in front of me and not anything about the movie there is a good chance I won't be back. We tend to go to the drive in theater a few times each summer, I don't remember the last time I went to a real movie theater.

9. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Member War Zone Member

This story is a good headline for Regal Cinemas but the move is all style with no substance. If each theater were to appoint an usher whose sole job was to keep track of the remotes and to monitor the disturbances then it might do a bit of good, but that will never happen. The manager / usher in charge of the remotes will be sweeping floors or getting ice for the concession stand when an alert is sounded and it will be a half hour before anything is done to resolve the situation.

10. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I saw the effective solution to noisy movie patrons in Vero Beach a few years ago. It involved a pair of large deputies.

11. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Still, won't get me back to the theater.

12. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

All the pessimism is kind of a bummer but frankly, the reality of the situation. If theaters made any money off of showing films it would help, but they don't.

13. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

That thing is going to get abused by people like my friends.

14. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

I bet your friends don't get handed a remote. :wink:

15. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Exactly. No one is giving the "report disturbance" device to a 16 year old, trust me.

16. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I've found one good solution that so far works great for us...

Go to the movies Sunday mornings...heck even SAturday morning...rarely anyone there and ya usually get nice peace and quiet.

:)

17. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

In fact I'd guess people sitting NEAR your friends will be the ones who get them. :)

18. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

A better one, theater's for the 35 and older, do that and I'll go back.

19. chad

Ron, that is not all together a bad idea except I would not be able to go... i'm only 31.

There was a theater/bar here in town and we used to go a lot because kids were not allowed. We purchased a membership so the only thing we had to pay for was 1 drink or food item per visit and they played pretty new movies. Well around the time the Harry Potter movies started coming out they opened their doors for all ages just for the Potter movies but soon realized that this was not a good idea because the place is a bar and nobody wants to sit and drink and smoke around a bunch of kids. A few years later they opened their doors to anybody over the age of 18. We pretty much stopped going then because the younger crowds came in and they are loud and they always find a way to drink which leads to fights and more loud, just not a good thing.

Fast forward a few years, Indianapolis passed a law a year or two ago stating that you have to be a bar and open to 21 year old and older only if you want patrons to continue smoking. Well, they made too much off of the 18,19 and 20 crowd to kick them out ( probably just making up the loss from people like me because a lot of the members left). So since folks could not smoke anymore folks stopped coming, they closed about 6 months ago.

I had a lot of good memories in that theater, everything from good times with my friends to getting about half of a pitcher of ice water poured in my lap.

[​IMG]

20. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

We try to do this too. Last time we did that was for Spidey 3, we were given a reciept and the cashier said it was "in case we wanted a refund." Thought that was wierd, get in the theater and 4 rows were roped off. Kids birthday party, they showed up half-way though the trailers and had to get their food/drink/etc. And the worst part was that the kids were fine, it was the damn parents that were annoying during the movie.