1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

No touchy

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Drew, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

2. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

LOL!!! I saw an article about a school in India instituting a "no touching" rule, and I'd thought that was pretty damn funny, and I thought you were posting a link to that article.

3. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Really? It doesn't sound like it.

4. Stefan

Stefan Active Member War Zone Member

This sounds great to me. I would completely support this.

Stefan

5. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Yup, there's just too much touching going on in the world today - :?

We certainly don't want a "pat on the back" after we've done something good.

Is this to reduce fighting? (violent touching)
    Are kids gropeing each other in the hallways? (sexual touching)

But all touching? :?

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I hear there's a DA in North Carolina looking for a job, maybe they could get the kid put up on assault charges :roll:

7. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Ummmmm. Those people redefine the word special. And that's not good. Who thinks of that? I am laughing to hear something like that going on in the states. I was thinking surely that would be in another country. But oh well. People never cease to amaze me. LOL

8. CJ

I thought it was getting insane when they were expelling girls for giving a friend an Advil or Mydol. This is beyond retarded and shows that we'd rather pass asinine rules than prepare our youth to actually behave like adults. Unfortunately it comes back to the parents. Schools CAN'T use common sense and judgment any more, they have to be 10000% consistent to the T or someone is going to sue them for being unfair to little Brittany.

9. Stefan

I would answer these 3 questions yes, yes, and yes. I realize many people would disagree with a rule like this. Especially kids who are still in public school. There are certainly a lot of kids - perhaps Drew - who do not inappropriately touch other people. Shaking hands, pats on the back, a hug are really not a big deal - FOR GOOD KIDS. The problem is that you can't make a rule like this and say that certain kids are exempt and others are not. There is a huge group of kids in our schools who use any opportunity to inappropriately touch others. Simple gestures such as handshakes, pats on the back, and hugs get taken to the next level - ALL THE TIME!! A handshake turns into a painful hand squeeze. A pat on the back turns into a painful hit on the back. A hug turns into an ass pinch - or a bear hug. The simple fact is that with kids, when you give an inch, they take a mile. This rule is called preventive discipline - and it is absolutely necessary if schools are going to be kept a safe and inviting place for kids.

BTW, I am not just making this stuff up. I see examples of "give an inch, take a mile" every day. I am fortunate that I teach band, and therefore spend most of my time with some of the best students in the school. But I have other duties which involve the general population. It's unfortunate that rules like this have to be made. But for some students, it's necessary. And even the so called "best students" mess up.

Stefan

10. CJ

LOL, even the teachers think of it as prison :D

11. Stefan

Kids have to be taught how to behave like an adult. The parents are a huge part of the solution. But don't kid yourself - that perfect kid who does no wrong at home is probably a different person at school when he or she is around their friends. Schools must pass rules like this when you are dealing with masses of kids. At home, you can allow your child to hug, pat, or whatever you want. Home and school are 2 different things.

How do you suggest we "prepare our youth to actuaslly behave like adults?"

Stefan

12. Stefan

I know you meant that as a joke. But lets face it - we are dealing with more than 1000 (this year we had 1500+ in our school) kids at a time. At a school, all the kids are free. There has to be ways to control them.

Stefan

13. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

It's time for one of these. :roll:

14. Mike B

Sis "Dad, he's touching me"
    Bro "She touched me first"
    Sis "Stop touching me"
    Bro "I didn't even touch you"
    Sis "Dad, he won't stop it"

Dad "All right you 2, there will be no more touching in this house"

The school plan should work about as good as the family plan...

:?

15. CJ

Just for good measure, throw in there "Your mother already seems to think this is a policy..." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stephan, I think I would favor a more individualized approach where each action is considered individually instead of passing "zero tolerance" policies that result in the valedictorian being expelled for having a bottle of advil in her locker, etc.

16. Stefan

But the problem with your family plan is that there was no punishment for the misbehavior. Perhaps, in your plan, that was the first time and you don't want to punish them. Fine, but at some point the kids have to be accountable for their behavior.

Stefan

17. Stefan

For a lot of things, that's fine. Bringing advil to school is a more isolated and non-public incident. Perhaps only that one student knows he or she has the medicine. Or maybe 1 friend knows about it. I am not going to argue whether bringing medicine to school is right or wrong - although there are certain policies in place in regards to medication.

Anyway, the medicine issue and the touching issue are completely different. The touching thing happens constantly with many students all over the place all day. The kids absolutely cannot keep their hands off each other.

You know - I am starting to realize that I am wasting my time sitting here trying to explain this. I don't argue with anybody here about computer jobs, sales, management, sports, and other things that I know nothing about. I teach at one of the better schools in my county and I have been there for 12.5 years. I actually know what I am talking about on this subject. Kids constantly "touch" each other. Mainly pushing, hitting, jabbing, bumping into... All in the name of fun. They're not fighting, they are just messing with each other. Most of them think it's funny. But every now and then it leads to a fight and somebody getting hurt. Again, it's called preventive discipline.

Stefan

18. Mike B

Well, we better cancel all sports too, because there is lots of touching going on there and it is school sponsored and on school grounds.

Stephan, I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, but this is sorta like the "No running at recess" thing that was up a while ago. Lets see...we have a major problem with childhood obesity and so we will address this with a no running policy, 'cause they might fall down and skin their knees.

I will just remain :?

19. CJ

To follow-up Mike's comments Stefan, I have an enormous respect for teachers. My disagreement with this policy is NOT an attack on teachers. I often feel that their hands are more often bound by stupid policy than assisted by good ones. I'd rather see teachers have more control ad an individual level.

20. Stefan

School sports and school hallways are 2 different things. I agree that the running at recess rule is a stretch. But I do think there are legitimate arguments on both sides for that.

CJ - teachers need to have the support of the administration in order to accomplish various discipline goals. I don't want to enforce some personal rule that I might have, then have the parent complain to the administration about me, then the administration hang me out to dry.

There have to be school-wide rules. Lets say Brttany and Joe decide to hug each other. A teacher sees this and decides that it is innapropriate behavior so the teacher sends the kids to the office - or the teacher simply decides that the kids deserve detention. Then what happens when those kids turn around and say they didn't know it was a rule? The teacher says that in his or her opinion, it was innappropriate behavior. The kids are confused because they don't know what they did wrong, The teacher is stuck explaining to the parents why it is innapropriate. The parents are mad at the teacher. And the administration can sit on the sidelines or support the teacher. But because there was no school wide rule, the administration can do what they want. If there were a school-wide policy, the students would be sent to deal with an administrator and the teacher can get back to work teaching and ensuring that the school is a safe and comfortable place to learn.

BTW, in this post, I am not commenting on the issue of hugging. I am responding to CJ's suggestion that teachers need the control at the individual level.

Stefan