1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Not sure why I'm posting this b/c I think I'm screwed

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by CJ, Jun 27, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Went through my normal routine of logging on from a my laptop in the kitchen while I'm having my morning coffee. Closed the lid when I went to get ready for work like I always do. I have windows set to send the laptop into hibernation mode when I close the lid. Get home tonight pop open the lid. Hear the fan kick in as windows restores my session.... no video. So after a few tried rebooting to troubleshoot and not even getting any video during the boot sequence I take it downstairs and hook it up to a monitor. No video, even after several more reboots and playing with the function F5 keys that toggle between screen output, monitor output and both. Any ideas? I imagine anyone is going to want way too much money to fix this and internet searches are saying that if you can't get video output to a monitor, its probably the integrated video on the motherboard rather than the LCD screen. God DAMN I'm pissed off! This thing is 1.5 years old. FUCK!!!!!!!!

2. CJ

WOOOHOOO. I took out the hard drive and put it back in (essentially reseating it) and took out both ram and only put one back in (essentially reseating it and leaving the other out) and I've got video back. PHEW. Don't know which it was. I'll put the other ram back in and if it doesn't work, its bad ram, if it does, I guess either the ram or HDD needed reseated.

3. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

Just like a woman.

4. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Shared mem. on the video?

5. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

So does this mean you're now unscrewed?

6. CJ

Nope, spoke too soon. Its not the video its the ram. And either both sticks are bad or the mobo is going bad. I'll probably try and pick up some ram today and if it works, great, if not I'll take it back and know that the mobo is bad.

7. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

Wow! Our problems are almost in sync. My wifes computer has been having problems and would just turn off automatically. Sometimes it wouldn't turn on at all. I looked at everything (power supply, power cable, etc) and nothing seemed to fix the problem until I removed one bar of DDR ram. Problem fixed. Weird.

8. CJ

I've had both sticks work in both slots and both in there together but very sporadically with a 20% work rate vs. 80% not working. Kind of doubt that both ram went bad simultaneously and that's all that's wrong. IF they're both bad, then something took them out (short, whatever), which means there's still a problem.

9. cjd

cjd New Member

CJ

Grab an Ubuntu distro. It includes a memtest in the boot options of the LiveCD. At least, I'm 99% sure it does. Don't have to install it.

Something makes me think there may be a heat issue. Check the heatsink exit and fan, see if you can spot dust.

But yeah, the memory is very probably a symptom of a larger problem.

What kind of lappy?

C