1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Notes on a Scandal

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by DYohn, May 17, 2007.

1. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Watched this outstanding film last night. Judy Densch has more acting ability in her left eye than any dozen young actors working today have combined. This is a tour de force performance from Dame Judy in a very challenging role. Also good are Bill Nighy and Cate Blanchett - although Cate has been much better - and a surprisingly good small role performance from a young British actress named Juno Temple as the daughter. This is a troubling film full of psychological and moral tension exploring sometimes taboo themes such as pedophilia, female predatory behavior, betrayal and forgiveness. I expected this to be a typical Hollywood "chick flick" but was pleased to see it is much more than that; indeed, I suspect women may find this film much more troubling than will men. I completely enjoyed it and thought it was much too short at 1 hr 35 minutes.

Highly recommended, a five-star film in my opinion, Notes is worthy of your Netflix queue.

2. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

yeah, i saw this in the theater months ago and my impression was pretty much the same, though i thought cate was equal to dench - together they wove a splendid little tale.

highly recommended indeed.