1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

NYC Home Entertainment Show

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by LarryB, May 31, 2007.

1. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

My (brief) report is on Stereo Times.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

3. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

I'll read this during lunch, thanks LB (and CJ :) )

4. Geof

Geof New Member

I have already showed him how to find the web address of his pages on Stereotimes on a thread on HTT. I guess Larry does not bother to learn anything that is computer-related. :lol:

5. CJ

6. CJ

I've explained it to him before as well. We just have to accept that we have to humor him like our favorite grandfather.

7. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

8. Geof

Geof New Member

Please don't show us your dentures! [​IMG]

9. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Larry knows full well how to do these things. But like a favorite Grandfather, it is so much more entertaining to do nothing and torment the grand kids.

8)

10. CJ

That's what old people say to feel less useless :p

11. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

The good news is, you're too busy with the old age jokes to criticize my show report. ;)

12. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Show report? There is a show report? :)

13. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Seen any good movies lately? ;)

14. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Good impression report Larry, good pictures too. I am somewhat surprised you liked the DCM speakers.

15. Geof

Geof New Member

Anything that has REALLY impressed you, and why ?

And about the Reimyo system, do you think the lack of dynamics was caused by a mismatch between the amp and the speakers ? And if you have looked more closely at the new transport, would you agree that it is very, very similar to a CEC transport (with add-ons) ? It looks like a TL-51XR with bigger feet...

16. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

David:

The DCM were easy to listen to, and an amazing bargain.

Geof:

The lack of dynamics in the reimyo room is the result of Bravos' small size and low efficiency; the fact that the Reimyo amp is not outstanding contributes, but I doubt it is the main factor.

I foolishly didn't ask about the Reimyo transport, so I don't know much about it.

There was nothing at the show that wowed me. There were two horn systems I didn't mention in my write-up; one was dreadful beyond description (and cost about $70,000!); the other (Haniwa) had potential but wasn't quite what I hoped it would be.

Larry

17. CJ

Sometimes I wonder if its difficult to make a mediocre horn system. They tend to fall in one of the extreme camps in my admittedly limited experience.

18. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

CJ: oh yes, there are some truly horrid horn systems with metallic, throaty, harsh sounds.

Larry: The DCM design philosophy is and always has been about time alignment which is one reason they do sound extremely good. But they are multi-driver, mid-efficiency systems with huge crossovers that largely EQ and shape the voicing and driver phase and timing of the system. My kinda design, actually. :)

19. Geof

Geof New Member

Fool

Thanks Larry :)

So you think the Reimyo SET is not outstanding - was it the first time you had listen to it, or do you base your opinion on other listening sessions ? And what is lacking in your opinion ?

P.S.: I have never heard the preamp nor the amp from Reimyo. At their retail price, they were not my... err... first choice to look at. :) But I am always curious...

20. CJ

See, I wouldn't call that mediocre, which is my point. I'd call that horrid which is one of the extremes I was referring to.