1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Oh my god, I'm dying.

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by CJ, Jun 27, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

OK, after having lost 14 lbs by modifying my eating habits, I decided to join my wife in working out. So I went to the gym Monday. I got TORN UP. I literally almost passed out (and I'm using the term literally correctly there). So yesterday I was pretty sore but what I consider normal from when I've started workout programs in the past. But today is a whole different level, I can't even straighten my left arm it hurts so bad. But today is gym day again but I'm going to have to take it very easily. Any advice?

2. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

No pain - no gain. ;)

Keep it up! You're waking up muscles that have been dormant for many many years. Give it two weeks and you'll feel much better. Remember to work different muscle groups on different days. Try not to overdo it either. Hang in there!

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Sounds like you're trying to too much too fast...you need to start slow and build up to more stuff.

4. CJ

Yeah, I'd say the almost passing out is a good indicator ;)

5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I would say just go and do enough to stretch out.

6. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Make sure you stretch before you work out...always...you'll thank yourself after.

Usually when you start up after a long lay off...the 'second' day is always worse than the first afterwards.

Don't over do it...lift what you can comfortably lift, controlled and steady...no more, otherwise you could hurt yourself.

In most cases it will be around your joints (elbows, knees, etc.) that will get ridiculously sore due to the tendons in those areas tightening up from lack of use and lack of stretching...once these start to see regular conditioning most of the soreness in these areas will subside.

Essentially when you work out you (ie weightlift) you are 'tearing' your muscle tissue, and when your muscles are sore, they in the process or repairing that tear...the reason the muscle grows is due to the tissue growing larger and stronger than before.

7. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Been there done that....

Have you ever heard the song Given Up Giving Up from Louie Prima, now might be a good time to check it out. :)

Seriously I have gone through this process a few times and you need to do certain things slowly. If you have an arm that is so stiff you cannot bend it, it means one of two things. You over exerted and you need to lay off for a little bit or, you used poor form and hurt it. There is nothing wrong with muscle burn, but you should be careful of other types of pain. I would suggest if you arm hurt that bad still you should do some cardio and then do leg work for the day.

Max

8. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

Ibuprofren, and it will be worse tomorrow. Should get better from there, but no easy way to fix this one. Sorry. Might as well get your leg work in now too. Maybe they'll hurt so bad you'll forget about your arms.. :D

9. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

When I was a kid, every &@$#(&* gym teacher I had gave us that "no pain, no gain' crap. Bunch of Nazi's. All they ever did is teach me to HATE exercise. In later life, most of my doctors told me that pain is a warning that something's wrong and don't ignore it. Like the others said, start slow, stretch first, don't go to extreme's right away. It ain't worth surgery.

10. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Oh, and just remember: curls for the girls.

8)

11. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Sure, focus on your cardio first. I recommend the elliptical. Low impact on the knees so you can burn yourself out almost twice daily without feeling too much stress on the ankles and knees. Second, start with the core. Incline situps with your arms across your chest and crunches, lots of crunches. As your probably newer to the weight game, I suggest starting out with pushups, dips and assisted pullups. Get your arms used to moving yourself around before you jump on the steel.

Again, more cardio in the first month.

12. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Drink more water and electrolytes- not Gatorade sugar-crap. Your body needs these in order to flush the junk out of your muscles, sounds like you started too hard, didn't stretch(I never do either) and probably got dehydrated.

13. Alfer

Alfer New Member

and eat some banana's...I know the potassium in them helps runners avoid cramping etc.

14. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

For snacks eat peanuts and bananas. Peanuts=Protein. Banana=Potassium.

Hope your not allergic!

15. Randy Anderson

Randy Anderson New Member

Beware - while peanuts are high in protein they are also very high in calories.

16. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Well lets hope he works out extra hard. :lol: :evil:

17. CJ

Yep, its all around the joints so its probably tendons complaining to me ;) I don't think I'm hurt, I'm just that out of shape.

18. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

If your arm hurts so bad you can't even move it, then stay away from the gym untill you can move it.

Pain is nature's warning.

19. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I work out fairly regularly, and it sounds like you are dealing with more then just sore muscles. I would take a day off, and when you go back try and use a lower weight and really focus on your form. The weight will pick up quickly once you start going regularly.

20. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Like I said do cardio and with the lifting work your legs and like Michael said watch your form this can lead to odd strains. There is nothing wrong with burn in your muscles but be careful it is not more and not to over do it.

And oh look at the avatar of the guy telling you to stay away from the gym. :)

I know when I was working out a bunch and got in great shape my biggest problem was picking back up after missing time and you saw where that got me. :) Just keep going in and work other areas till your arm feels right.

Pay attention to Ken everything he said is really the right way to go to prepare yourself for weights.

Max