1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Okay what the hell?

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Greg W, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Greg W

Greg W New Member

So I finally got my Panny 58pz700u yesterday (A month and a half after ordering, grrr!), and am stunned with the picture.

BUT!

I threw in Happy Feet, and after getting over the initial breath-taking shock, I noticed that my 1080p sourced-BluRay disc was appearing on my 1080p display with black bars above and below...

What the hell? Isn't a blu-ray movie supposed to fill the entire screen? I checked the output on the PS3, it was set to 1080p, and the tv itself reported a 1080p signal...so what gives?

Oh, and I threw in Ghost Rider, too, same thing. But Planet Earth filled the screen properly...so what am I missing? I thought blu-ray specs required 1.85 aspect ratio?

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Any movie can be filmed in any aspect ratio whether its on film, DVD or Blu-Ray. Happy Feet is 2.40:1. If a film is not 1.85:1 you're going to have black bars from now until the day we have liquid TVs that change shape. No technology (other than one which stretches and distorts the picture) will make that work. Its still a common misconception to this day but we basically only have two TV sizes and at least a half dozen common aspect ratios. That means there are a lot of movies out there that will have black bars on every TV on the market. And if your TV was the shape that made Happy Feet have no black bars then guess what, Planet Earth would have had black bars on the sides because now your TV would be too wide.

3. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

Greg,

I don't have Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, but I do know this: 1.85:1 is NOT a requirement of Blue-Ray (or HD-DVD). The correct aspect ratio for any movie/television show/what have you is the way it was intended to be shown, not something ridiculous such as the shape of your screen. Cropping 2.35:1 (or other ratio) movies to 1.67:1 just so they fit on a standard 16:9 screen (which is 1.78:1, by the way) is not the answer. There was a long and hard fight to get movies for the consumer in their proper aspect ratios.

4. CJ

What Tom said. And sorry if either of our answers sounds ... snippy but the relevant point is the what Tom said, there was a long and hard fight for us to GET movies released in the right aspect ratio when DVD was young. 10 years later people still complain about black bars.

5. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

Hey Greg, how do you like your Panny?

Have you been able to feed your plasma 1080P/24? What is the display/refresh rate: 24, 48, 60, ...?

6. RicP

RicP New Member

No offense to Greg, but if folks on an enthusiast's site are still as confused as this... what chance do the rest of the folks out there stand? Although I do remember some of us predicting years ago that even the profileration of HD and widescreen sets would not remove the "black bars" hysteria.

7. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Very true....then add to that the HD/Blu's confusing surround sound set up options, firmware downloads to fix glitches, etc etc...all can make for a bit of a confusing product to deal with for the average homeowner....maybe by the time J6P actually feels the need for these all the glitches will be gone ....

8. CJ

Jesus Alfer, no one was talking about that. Why do you find that you have to do that?

OOOh, question about aspect ratio, but he mentioned Blu-Ray, that's an opening to dump on how confusing these new formats are!!!!!!

9. Shane

Shane Active Member

Greg,
    While High Definition TV has an aspect ratio of 1.78:1, movies do not. They are filmed based on what aspect ratio a director intends his film to be seen in. 1.78 was chosen as a compromise(a poor one IMHO).

Just like DVD where movies had black bars(due to the aspect ratio), they will have them here on Blu Ray or HD DVD depending on the film of choice. Some films like Mutiny on the Bounty will be larger while some films could even have side bars like Casablanca(1.33:1 AR).

What I have found best is to watch them in the dark like you would at the movies. If your display is setup correctly(I have a Panasonic as well), the bars will disappear. It's all mental.

What may be enforcing the confusion you have are 2 factors:
    1. Assuming HD discs = HDTV which has an OAR of 1.78:1 which matches your display.
    2. You are used to watching HBO/Showtime etc which distort their films to fit the screen.

These 2 links should give you more understanding(shamelessly stolen from AVS):
    http://www.rexer.com/cine/oar.htm
    http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5140690-4.html

10. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

11. Greg W

Greg W New Member

CJ, I didn't think you guys sounded snippy at all. Of course I was aware of the aspect ratio fight. My confusion, I think, came from somehow having the notion that blu-ray/hd specs called for 1.85 on HD tv's. Not sure why I had that notion.

RicP, ah, well...lol, I'd classify myself a lot closer to j6p than any sort of enthusiast expert. The whole reason I'm here is to learn from you guys, because I'm acutely aware of my lack of detailed knowledge. I'm an enthusiast from the standpoint of enjoying awsome HT and HT equipment, but not from the standpoint of being any sort of expert :). Working on it, though! I hope.

John, I absolutely love it. As I said, the picture is, to me, stunning. I had a Toshiba Regza LCD prior (1080i), which I always thought just great, but the difference was nearly literally shocking. Deep blacks, crisp colors, excellent skin tones. I use a ps3 for blue-ray, which is capable of 1080p/24 since the 1.8 patch. However, I believe both it (I might be wrong, someone can tell me, I'm sure! :) ), and the XA2 I have convert to 1080p/60. However, I do know that even if they didn't, the tv would do 3:2 pulldown and convert the signal itself. As far as I know, it is not capable of displaying 1080p/24 -- I think there are very few, and very expensive, sets that do do 1080p/24. In my reading about this issue, it's been said that this can cause judder. Over the hours I've been watching it (I've watched nearly all of Planet Earth now -- just absolutely amazing...), I have been looking for judder, and have never seen any. So whatever the set does, it's doing it well. At least to my eyes.

Shane and Randy, thank you both for your links. Good reading.

12. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Active Member

there confused. i find myself explaining nearly every day the diffrence between widescreen and fullscreen. the aspect ratio bit is part of my explination. nearly everyone (that was confused on full/wide) believes that once they upgrade to 16X9 that the black bars will be gone.

13. alan halvorson

alan halvorson New Member

I'm quite curious to know why 1.78 was a poor compromise and what, in your view, would have been a better one. I take it you know why 16:9 was choosen.