Oreo Is Here

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Dan Driscoll, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Oreo, aka Android 8.0, dropped in late August and I was wondering if anyone has installed it yet?

I have a Nexus5X and never installed 7 (Nougat) because of the documented hardware failure in >20% of the 5X phones that it was installed on.

2. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

My Pixel 2 should be here this weekend with Oreo preloaded. Looking forward to checking out its features.

I have a Nexus Player but it hasn't been used in months. It's supposed to be updated to the new Android TV interface (part of Oreo) so I may bring it out of retirement, considering I have a Google Assistant Mini on the way as well.

3. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Yes, I have it, but I can't tell anything different than the old version.

4. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Didn't notice. I am on 8.0. Haven't really noticed a difference other than before long press on an icon used to have two options (I think) uninstall and remove (from home screen). Now long press for apps that don't have more extensive features (like new note, new voice note, etc for say a notes app) you have app info as an option, from there you are taken to the app info where you an uninstall.

No new issues, but really I've had zero personally on my Pixel XL

5. Dan Driscoll

All of you upgraded from Nougat?

6. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

My LG G5 is running Nougat. My Nvidia Shield and Sony TV, which runs Android TV, are also on Nougat.

7. Dan Driscoll

I'm still on ICS and am waiting to hear if the Nougat 5X hardware issue is still a risk with Oreo. I'm fairly happy with my 5X and can't really afford a comparable replacement right now if it were to fail.

8. Dan Driscoll

Crossed my fingers and bite the bullet, so far no problems.

This is a 6 to 8 comparison, but I'm not seeing a big difference so far. 8 seems skinnier and more streamlined than 6. Foe instance, the main Settings menu is notably shorter and so are the sub-menus. I would say the my biggest complaint so far is that My wallpaper from 6 isn't available on 8. If that's as bad as it gets I'll be pretty happy.