1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Other options for a diy screen?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by NathanP, Jun 3, 2007.

1. NathanP

NathanP New Member

I want to go FP in a few months.. Liked what Mike had to show but it was a little difficult for me, and I wonder if it can be done cheaper?

You guys with diy screens, what did you do, and what did it cost?

2. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Parkland Polywall. $20 plastic material from Home Depot that (AFAIK) is meant for making walls in public restrooms :) Add the framing material and velvet, and I think I spent < $50 total.

Go to AVS, they have a DIY screen section, you can spend weeks there reading about all the options at different cost/effort points.

3. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I have had a few diy screens but was never quite happy with them. I ended up shooting on a plain white wall until I had enough money saved up and then bought a High Power screen. I have never been happier.

4. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member War Zone Member

If you're at/under a 4x8, HD sells white melamine sheet goods. If you need something other than white, try ordering a sheet of laminate. HD carries Wilsonart and you can get it up to 5x12. You'll have to mount it to a substrate or a wall tho.

Pete

5. Zak

Zak Active Member War Zone Member

I've seen Pete's FP using the different melanine sheets and was very impressed with them. I must say though I like the DaLite High Power a bit better though.

Pete, what screen did you finally go with? and amazing that you finished your media room. Looks fantastic.

6. Pete Mazz

A manual Dalite HiPower. It helps with not having absolute light control and stays relatively flat.

Pete

7. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Pete, I love the pull down projector box. How does the IB sound like that and or is it wired for stereo? I would love to be able to incorporate my center channel into an ib structure such as yours, it would free up a lot of floor space!

8. Pete Mazz

The IB sounds just fine! I had an old wall mounted sub so I pretty much knew what to expect. It's wired mono using the sub xover on my HT processor but I always wanted to try wiring it to my active xover as a stereo 3-way. Someday....

Pete