Panasonic's VP says war is over.

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Shane, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

http://www.twice.com/index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleID=CA6453379

No real surprise. I think it just points out that any Panasonic rumors about combo HD DVD/BR players are now false.

It's funny the article says that Panasonic was happy letting the consumer decide which flat panel technology will win but won't let it happen with BR/HD.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

3. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

4. RickG

RickG New Member

CJ, I was thinking of that very image when I read the quote, I thought about mentioning it, but your picture is better.

5. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Seriously, what did we have when the DVD/DIVX war was over and the Beta/VHS?

1) Manufacturers stopped making one of the machines.
    2) Retailers stopped carrying one of the format's movies.
    3) Rental outlets stopped renting one of the formats (or never did) - OK we PARTIALLY have this with the recent BB announcement but no one with an HD-DVD player is really impacted by this because there were only 250 stores in the whole country renting HD-DVDs any way. So everyone was already getting them from Netflix or BB online, NEITHER of which is dropping HD-DVD.

So practically, we have none of these conditions and probably won't for another year.

6. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

And those same 250 stores will continue to support and rent HD DVDs. Even the Blockbuster CEO seemed surprised by the reaction of people from their announcement.

7. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!?

8. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

countdown to someone not getting Chris' comment...

9. Alfer

Alfer New Member

"HELL NO!!"

"Shh..he's on a roll"

:wink:

10. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Even more appropriate since the underlying movie is from Universal--on HD DVD, not Blu-ray!

- Steve

11. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Let me guess -- a Bill Murray movie?

12. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

History has shown that when two competing formats exist, it is often the case that as soon as one format gains a slight edge, that advantage expands exponentially. I suspect (an opinion, not a fact) that we are very close to that having occurred with Blu-Ray. As always, time will tell.

13. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Larry Larry Larry...get with the times man!! :)

animal_house117710.jpg

14. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Oh darn, I've actually seen that movie. And now that you've jogged my memory, I can mentally hear Belushi saying it.

15. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

LOL...me too...as soon as I heard the line I heard Belushi in my head! Ha Ha!

16. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

For those of you playing the game at home, the correct quote is:

"Forget it, he's rolling. "