Panning shots

Discussion in 'The Photography Lounge' started by Chris Slade, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

So I went to the F1 race in Montreal 2 weeks ago. I got a few decent shots. I tried some panning shots.... dummy I am. I took them all with a much too fast shutter speed. I can't tell which shots were pans and which ones were not. Live and learn I guess.

It was bright and sunny and I was shooting in aperture priority mode and not thinking about shutter speed at all. It worked great for freezing the action, and worked like soggy balls on the pans.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, for panning shots, use shutter priority and set shutter to a speed where you know you'll get motion blur, e.g. below 1/250th or even lower.

I had to go all the way down to 1/4 to get this shot but that's probably too slow for a panning shot. It would be difficult at 1/4 to not have EVERYTHING be blurry. Note: It might look like I'm riding the ride, but I'm actually not... I'm standing in the exit line, but that was the look I was trying to achieve.

20798611839_4fac8e9767_z.jpg Q8230581 by imahawki (MFT - m4/3 Shooter), on Flickr

3. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I understand that shooting fast moving vehicles would require a faster shutter speed and have the camera set to focus tracking, shutter priotrity and as low an iso as you can use depending on the light. A monopod may be a must to keep your camera level and try try try to get the shot with lots of practice.

4. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

For the Airshows I've attended, panning is quite essential. Continuous snaps with Shutter Priority is a best bet. Light is key, and ISO 100/200, F7 and lower (F5, F4, and with a Kit Lens even lower ) while your shutter speeds hovering between 550 and higher, these are the settings I use for fast moving objects (adjust Shutter Speeds between Prop Planes, and jets of course). It can also depend on the lens. I'm still learning to use a Prime Lens, which gives me more flexibility regarding shutter speed, ISO, and F Stops. Using a Kit Lens requires more effort for and I'm prone to snap more errors as a result.