1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Pioneer's new Blu Ray player is coming

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Shane, May 10, 2007.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

2. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

1K?!! Dang! When are we going to see them in the sub $500 range, or even the sub $300 range? I'm in when that happens, or a combo player for $500.

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Somehow I don't see the numbers Michael is desiring showing up for at minimum 2 years...thing is will the format war still exist by then?

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Honest question, why can Toshiba do it but not Pioneer or Sony?

5. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

They don't want to?

They probably have a bunch of data sitting in front of them saying that the BD market is still mostly made up of people who are willing to pay premium prices for gear.

There is more to winning the format war than just price. One has been able to buy HD-DVD for under $500 from the beginning and under $300 for the past 2-3 months (roughly), yet they are still behind in numbers.

6. CJ

Good point.

7. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

And now to contradict the above ;)

Because price is obviously important at some point in the gears market evolution, you won't hit any kind of 'critical mass' at high prices.

8. CJ

I just know I'm price sensitive and I need to stop extrapolating or projecting (perhaps a better word) what I want/need to happen on what the market wants/needs to happen.

9. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Honest answer: they could if they were willing to lose as much money as Toshiba is willing to lose.

I an anxiously looking forward to the next gen. Pioneer Elite players, as that's likely the BRD machine I'll pick up...

10. CJ

Honest question, why aren't they willing to?

11. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

I think a lot of it has to do with the PS3. If they release stand-alone BluRay players they fear it will further deteriorate sales of the PS3 with it's high price tag. If stand-alone players keep being around $1000 then those looking for a BluRay buy-in will continue to look at the PS3 first.

12. CJ

Which is kind of bass ackwards from what they appeared to be doing, which was taking a loss on PS3s to get BD up and running. Now they're tweaking BD player prices to keep PS3s afloat? Wouldn't want to be in upper management at Sony right now to be honest.

13. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Their original plan required the PS3 to actually move a lot of units. :)

I agree though, certainly wouldn't want to be in upper management in that company.

14. I'm waiting for a combo player... but do have a HD-DVd add on for my Xbox in a secondary room...

15. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

I really don't know CJ. I can only guess that their product marketing people feel their current price points are important at this time. But let's face it, if Sony wanted to absorb the losses to release a BR2 player @ $299 they could. Just like Microsoft could afford to give away the HD-DVD add-on with the XBox if they decided it was a good business decision. Unless we are on the inside of those discussions we can never know, which is why it's often pointless for us to seriously debate these things. We can only discuss them from the perspective of the outsiders and consumers we are! :)

16. I'd guess that each side is hoping/praying/wishing that the other goes bankcrupt or loses too much money to continue so they can reap all the bucks into the future. They just don't WANT to share profits on HD, but want it all and are willing to make the customer pay for their business plan.

It is akin to wondering why a drug company doesn't just open up their new patented drug for generic sales when the customer need warrents it?

It is all about profit.

17. cjd

cjd New Member

So, Sony is willing to take the hit (see PS3)

The problem is they aren't going to pay all those other vendors to take a hit. And I believe getting the other vendors on board is important for their long-term strategy.

Toshiba, being its own master, ...

On the other hand, why isn't HD-DVD totally destroying BD, what with being available sooner and at such a lower cost, etc?

Hmm, neither have much software available yet... still. Yeah, it's better, but it's a paltry availability list.

So, for now, I think price is far less important overall than the price-conscious enthusiast might wish it were.

C

18. I just wish both sides could shake hands and release some sort of common HD format... or at least allow the manufacture of players which will play both for less.
    I'd guess/hope it is only a matter of time before they both realize that the path to long term profits are one where they both win?

19. Shane

Shane Active Member

The licensing fees are the primary reason we have a format war to begin with. Sony and the like do not want to keep paying that fee everytime DVD is mentioned.