1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

"Pirates" earns $17 million ..

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by stephenj, May 25, 2007.

1. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

.. during its thursday night sneak-preview showings, according to "media by numbers".

that's a lot more than shrek 3 did in its sneak screenings, btw.

granted, shrek is first and foremost a kid's movie whereas "pirates" has a huge teenage following, and teens are far more likely to attend late-night sneak previews.

that said, my $90m prediction might be in trouble.

2. Shane

Shane Active Member

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=piratesofthecaribbean3.htm

$57 million as of yesterday. I'd consider the $90 million figure to be shot by the end of today. If you use worldwide gross, it's already sunk. In fact they say it'll be the biggest Memorial Day opening ever which would sink my $130-$150 million figure fast.

3. Tyson

Tyson New Member

This is pretty much what I thought would happen.

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I guess my $200+ million number is gonna in the running then.... :p

5. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

I wasn't talking world-wide, just USA.

While my $90m does look low, the take on friday was $43m, which was well below spiderman 3's first-friday take. Shrek 3 did $14m, so i think that to a certain extent i was right about the competition hurting "pirates".

6. Shane

Shane Active Member

7. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

The friday-sunday BO (counting thursday as part of friday) was $126m, clearly above my prediction of $90m, but also clearly below the predictions of many analysts (such as Lee's and Box OFfice Mojo) that had it coming in at around $150m for the 3 days.

While i was wrong overall, i think my basic argument had some force: competition from Shrek III (which scored $50m) and even from Spidey was intense.

And movie goers may have been suffering "blockbuster fatigue": The predictions for *all* 3 movies was way off. E.g., Lee's had Pirates at $157m, Shrek at $67m, and Spidey at $17m for the 3 days. The actual numbers were $126, $51, and $13m. Those were all over-estimated.

If Disney had opened this on July 4, i think it would indeed have been a record-breaker, or close to it. I still maintain timing it right after Shrek III and Spidey was a marketing mistake.

8. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

I was one of those peeps.

It was really good. Better than Number 2 but not as good as Number 1.

9. Shane

Shane Active Member

Final total for the weekend: $151 million. A Memorial day weekend record.

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

This will be the summers biggie, no movie is going to touch it.

11. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

i don't think so. it's well behind spidey's pace, and behind shrek 3 too.

right now, shrek 3 seems to have the best legs. i think it will pas Spidey. if i had to predict the final US box office it would be Shrek 3 first, Spidey next, POTC third.

12. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Counting out Potter??

13. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Wow, I had no idea. What did Shrek and Spidy do their opening weekends?

14. Alfer

Alfer New Member

This should help...you can select week by week data.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/boxoffice/;_ylt=AmffVdp.o_8z_hhUSOo2OdFfVXcA

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Looks like Spidy and Pirates tied for opening weekends and Shrek's weekend was about $30 mil less. Seeing that Spidy's been out a for a month now I still think Pirates will step on him for over-all summer dollars. It'll beat Shrek as well.

Potter could rule the summer though as it's popularity is greater then all the above.

16. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I think it's safe to say that overall this will indeed be a huge summer for movies...much moreso than the last few years...and who knows, next year may be a total bust..I haven't heard about too many big blockbusters that will be arriving in summer 2008, so the movie moguls should enjoy this year while they can.

:)

17. Tyson

Tyson New Member

It'll be huge but we'll be hearing all over the media how the studios are complaining of lackluster box office receipts. $50,000,000 lower that last years total of 10,000,000,000,000 dollars (exaggerating of course). lol. It's the same every year.

18. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Indiana Jones next summer, that is one blockbuster and I'm sure there will be more for 2008.

19. Alfer

Alfer New Member

True...I know that's one I'll venture out to see....I wonder if ol' Indy still has the box-office draw...especially for the kids today who have little clue who Indy is...I guess that's why they hired the new teen "it kid" Shai LeBote (sp)? I'm sure us folks in out late 30's, 40's+ will enjoy seeing how they wrap things up...

20. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston Member

The Dark Night (Batman Begins sequel) also arrives summer 08