1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

"Pirates" opening weekend box office prediction

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by stephenj, May 23, 2007.

1. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

Drawing on my infinite wisdom, i predict that Pirates of the Caribbean will surprise the experts by not only opening smaller than Spiderman 3, but also smaller than Shrek 3 as well.

Why? First, after two blockbusters this month, i think many people will just be "movied out", and not want to fight the big crowds a third time. Second, since Shrek 3 just opened last week, it will still be drawing big crowds, enough to take significant business away from "Pirates". Disney should have held off on this release until later in the summer.

Thus, i predict a friday-sunday box office of $90 million.

2. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Some anecdotal info...

The local "very nice" theater here in Seattle (Cinerama) is doing a midnight showing of Pirates 3 at midnight tomorrow. I was able to go and pick up tickets today for my nieces without any problem. Most "blockbuster" movies that have midnight showings are usually sold out for the opening "midnight" shows almost as soon as they go on sale.

That said... who knows. I want to see the movie, but am not inclined to rush out and see it at the theater.

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

No way...it opens Thursday night at 8pm and I bet it will be a rock solid sellout ALL weekend long....I predict opening numbers they announce Monday's will have it top $200 million or more.

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

My local theater is showing Pirates 24 / 7 for the entire opening weekend. This will be the summers biggest movie. It will crush Spidy and Shrek.

5. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Whoa! That's a mighty big number there!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if Stephen isn't too far off the mark. Now while I want to see this one in theaters, I'm not sure I'll see it this weekend. I think they should have waited a few more weeks, or even near 4th of July like last year.

6. Shane

Shane Active Member

Between 130-160 million in the US this weekend.

7. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

It may be the widest opening of 2007, surpassing Spider-Man's 10,000 screens. Most multiplexes have it on 3-6 screens, so its 168 minute running time won't be much of a factor. Should break the Memorial Day records with ease, but you never know.

As a movie, it's headache-inducing (at least the 30 minutes I could manage to watch tonight was). :)

8. Josh Dial

Josh Dial New Member

Biggest movie opening ever, adjusted for inflation and all that. Beating Spidey, Shrek, and Pirates 2.

9. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

this movie is going to crush all records.

10. Alfer

Alfer New Member

USA Today gave it 1.5 stars (out of 4).

Slammed it for being an overbloated mess.

Hope it's not a case of the curse of the 3rd film...Shrek 3 sucked and almost every 3rd flick in many movie series sucked....

Either way though...kids and the kids' parents will be running in to see it as fast as they can, and I'd bet the kiddos end up going twice or more over the weekend...if not for sure while it's in first run.

USAToday review

11. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

I watched the trailer for it last night and agree that it has too much going on for 1 film- even more-so than part 2. I do think it will do well, somewhere along the lines of Shane's numbers- no records, but a good profit.

12. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

This will be a rental for me or a plain old SD buy if I can find it cheap enough. I'll only pick up the first one on BR.

13. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Man they still keep beating it up....

CNN:

I agree though that almost 3 hours long seems like a bit much to sit through...

My sis called and when they get into town next week, I will be taking my nephew to go see it..he's a big fan.

14. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

I think that Pirates 3 will make a boatload of money this weekend, but I don't think it will make much more than the last one given the poor reviews (although I will admit that didn't hurt Spidey 3 or Shrek 3) and also the very mixed reaction of the previous one from the general public. However, having showings on Thursday night (one theatre here is playing it 5 times tonight) will help the number.

15. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

I for one don't care, although I am sure it will be a blockbuster. I really have never understood the fascination with box office returns. I understand why the studios care a great deal, but I always thought we enthusiasts cared more about the quality of the movie than about how popular it becomes with the general public??

16. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I think it's all just a fun distraction from the usual endless disecting of a movie's qualities etc...

17. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Well my G/F is going tonight at Midnight to the first viewing. It was sold out within (god knows)how many seconds that tickets become availible.

18. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

I think it will make some good coin, about what Shane said for the long weekend (I predict on the low end- $135 million).

-Dennis

19. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Well the money clock started ticking 30 minutes ago officially.

:)