1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

"Pirates" snap review

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by stephenj, May 25, 2007.

Tags:
  1. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

saw Pirates III tonite. Not as magically fun as the first one, but IMO clearly superior to II. The story was darker, yet more linear (and thus easier to follow) and the action scenes were tighter, not as drawn-out and over the top. And they did a nice job of tying various story lines together.

7.5/10 rating

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Did you feel that it being almost 3 hours long was "too long" or just right?

3. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II New Member

I'm going to see it today at 12:30 and I'll have review on-line sometime this evening.

4. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

Just right, actually. It didn't seem overly or tediously long. Despite what some critics are saying, it doesn't move particularly slowly at the beginning, it moves right along (i liked the pacing better in this one than in II, which i felt was just *too* frenetic).

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

One Question, how much is Barbosa in it? The sequel seriously sucked without him, he is the highlight of these films.

6. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston New Member

he's in it plenty. I felt like he and Davy Jones (my two favorite characters) got just the right amount of screen time.

I have to agree with Stephen. Much better than II. Pirates III has everything but the kitchen sink thrown in! I left feeling slightly overwhelmed.

[spoiler:2a741fcee1]I am glad to see the two marines back in the film, I missed them in II. Also the crowd went wild (as did I) when Keith Richards showed up, what a great little moment![/spoiler:2a741fcee1]

7. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

Yes, he's so good he almost steals the show from sparrow, barbosa was excellent.

8. Paul E. Fox II

Much better pace from the beginning in this movie. From the opening shot to the first part of the credits, the movie clocked in at approximately two hour, forty-five minutes. Since both of my boys need to visit the Men's Room, I didn't stay for the entire credits.

The action starts quickly and pops up enough to keep you engaged.

Barbosa was was back and was great as was much of the comedy from the first film that was sadly missing from the second...even though this film is much darker in overall tone. When they were able to use comedy, it didn't feel as forced as it did in Part II.

My initial impression is that both the Norrington and Davy Jones characters aren't written as well as they have been though when it came time, the Davey Jones comes back with a vengeance!

As for the action, let me say that the final battle is AWESOME and goes on for quite a while though it never felt "long"

We get a lot of resolution as well...we know what happened and there aren't a lot of questions left.

We also have a CLEAR opening to Part IV if it's decided to move forward.

I rate it highly...I actually enjoyed it much more than I did Spider-Man. This is the clear winner of the Big Summer Movie as far as I'm concerned.

Once we get into the story and most of the members that are going to see it have made it to the theater, I'm sure we'll be able to discuss it a little more fully.

9. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Looking forward to this after the response here. I didn't know it was that long. Wow!

10. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

Yes, clearly better than Spiderman 3 or Shrek 3, though i'm sticking to my prediction it will do the worst at the box office.

11. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Going tonight at 9:45, see you all tomorrow with comments.

12. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member

barbosa stoled the show. He was awesome.

13. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member

just got back from POTC 3. I left disappointed. Some of you say that #2 wasn't that good I don't know what to say. I guess the box office speak for itself. I thought it was great.

The third was way to freaking long. Too much of Elizabeth. I didn't think Captain Jack Sparrow was that effective. Clearly Barbosa was fantastic and not by small margin either.

There where some parts that where fantastic and some that dragged for ever.

My two kids are big time POTC fans. They can watch it everyday. Easy! In fact they watched 1 & 2 yesterday in preparation for today. The little one 2/3 into the movie started whining Daddy I want to go home.

14. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma New Member

Skipping this one altogether. Sitting through the second one was enough.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

15. Paul E. Fox II

Worse overall or worse on it's opening weekend.

This movie kept me entertained...much more so than the II which I liked overall. II just felt very long where, in my opinion, this one just didn't.

I'm going to be very interested in the numbers it does over this holiday weekend.

16. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

both. just really bad timing coming on the heels of two huge blockbusters.

if they released it in june or july, i think it would have beaten both shrek and spidey overall, but not now.

17. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I think the POTC naysayers will be surprised at how much bookoo bucks this newest version will bring in...:)

18. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

with $17m from just the thursday sneaks, my $90m weekend prediction is in serious trouble (unless that whole $17m just canabilizes the friday take).

19. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma New Member

Why? Sequels tend to perform better at the BO than their predecessors.

20. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

What? There can never be too much of Kiera Knightley.

I enjoyed the movie. It was long, but entertaining.