Planning an AHEM

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by DYohn, May 31, 2007.

1. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

and looking for opinions.

My wife has decided she does not like using a Squeezebox in her studio stereo system and wants a good quality CD player. I am traveling to China in a few weeks and will be able to spend some time shopping, and thought I might be able to snag one of the recent breed of high-quality Chinese made tube-output CD players now getting great reviews for less than it might cost here.

I wonder if anyone has experience with any of these, and if you'd be willing to post your impressions?

So far I have found dealers of Sheng Ya (sold here as Vincent,) Shanling, Xindak, MHZS, Cayin, Jolida, and a few others. Any thoughts or personal experiences?

2. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

The Consonance droplet has received rave reviews.

3. TimB

TimB New Member

David,
    I've not heard their CDP, but have been impressed with all the Cayin pieces I have heard. And I haven't heard the Droplet, but the Ref 2.2 is very good. Be aware there are two versions (both with a 6H30 output stage) - one is non-oversampling, one is 24/192 nondefeatable upsampling. I've only heard the upsampling version. If you are into used, there are both pieces Cayin and 2.2, version not specified) on Agon now for about 1/2 retail.

4. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Now that is love. Here is a guy willing to go to the ends of the earth and travel half way around the world to buy something for his wife happy so that she will be happy. Let's all say it......aaaaawwwwwwww. Ya lucky bastard! Getting to go to China and come back with some electronics and your wife will love you for it!!!!!

5. DYohn

Life is rough sometimes Mike. :)

6. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I have the Jolida and it sounds very good once you replace the stock tubes with Svetlanas.

7. DYohn

Thanks for the replies everyone. I may not bring home a player after all. Over the weekend I dug out my old Grundig CD-9000 machine and hooked it up for her and damn that old player sounds great, very warm and without too much harshness. It has a really nice Phillips DAC and transport and even though it is circa 1992 and will only play redbook CDs, it is a fantastic performer. I had forgotten how well this machine works.

Maybe I'll look for something else in China. Hmm.