1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Possible interesting news about Universal

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Dan S., May 9, 2007.

1. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

I just saw this linked from Blu-ray.com and thought it was interesting:

Link

It's a translated page from a German IT website about some comments made by Pioneer during a press conference. Here's the most interesting bit.

representatives from Pioneer announced that Universal will break their exclusivity agreement with HD DVD. This would allow Universal, the only large studio exclusively supporting HD DVD, to freely distribute their movies on Blu-ray. It is important to note that this announcement has not yet been confirmed by Universal.

"It has long been speculated that Universal was receiving monetary compensation for being an exclusive HD DVD studio. This announcement would signal that they have decided to forgo the compensation in order to release titles on Blu-ray. Most would agree that this move would effectively end the war, and no matter what side you support, a single HD format is the best long term solution."

It would be nice to end the war and just get on with getting more hi-def movies.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I'd be all for that. What's the cheapest current BD player?

3. cjd

cjd New Member

Cheapest and best is still the PS3, no?

4. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

It will be interesting to see if this is true. A German Web Site quoting Pioneer reporting about Universal. :?

This is kinda of interesting (it was posted on AVS):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=845630

5. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Yea, sounds a little off. The latest (but now old) numbers we know of don't have BD in that much of a sales lead that you'd expect them to jump into both pools.

Not really suprising though, Universal has a HUGE catalog of titles available.

6. Shane

Shane Active Member

Another rumor bites the dust.
    http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=180

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Maybe for now, but if Blu-ray keeps on it's current path Universal will cave.

8. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

BD doesn't need Universal RIGHT NOW, they just need to keep going for a little while longer without anyone switching over to HD-DVD.

9. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Without a doubt, the studio benefiting the most from the new formats is Warner. Their strategy is spot on and should be viewed as the model for the other studios.

10. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Don't the studios realize they would make more money if they released their films on both formats?
    Seems sort of a Duh to me. What am I missing?

11. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Politics.

The absolute best thing for the consumer (including bringing about a quicker end to the war) would be for all studios to release on both formats. If that happened, people could choose based on the actual merits of each format instead of having to vote based on studio politics.

I think the war would be decided by this time next year if all studios released on both formats.

12. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

One reason I see Drew is it is a 'gamble' one studio starts producing BD the other HD...then HD caves (for example) and the studio that has the BD has a major head start in producing BD over the other studio, and the second studio looks bad because it hasn't produced as much of what people want as the first guy...

Jason

13. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Oh definetly. But would you not get more sales for your studio if you released your films on both formats until one won the war.

14. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Absolutely.

And it would probably result in some long term "double dipping" as people who bought software on the losing format would eventually replace it with software from the winning format.

15. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Thats going to suck if HD-DVD goes under. Then our players would become worthless right? Or Visa Versa with Blu Ray owners.

16. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Not a chance. I don't see this war comming to an end that soon even if all studios released on both, no way. Both camps have way to much invested to give up that soon. This war is going to go on for years.

17. Shane

Shane Active Member

How are Total HD, combo discs with $40 price tags, seperate and unequal releases spot on and a model for releasing on both formats?

18. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

That was and is always a concern.

The players would not become worthless as they would still work with the software you bought. The bigger concern is that the software might become worthless if the player ever died!

At this point I have a quiet confidence that my purchases are safe. Blu-Ray is still the side that is scrambling to try and end the war as quickly as possible. They do not have any real world quality advantage, and their studio advantage could change in a hearbeat.

The longer things go on and the larger the HD DVD installed base gets, then the more likely it will be that additional studios publish on that format.

I should also note that those who have purchased into BD should also feel fine even if that format eventually "loses". The fact that the PS3 is also a BD player means that they will be able to easily get a replacement player of their existing player ever breaks down. That means that their existing BD software library should be playable for a long time.

19. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

The model is ideal since they are selling more next gen movies then any other studio.

Despite the complaints about uneven releases, BD folks continue to gobble up Warner releases when they do become available... even if they have lower quality or less features.

I am shocked that more studios do not follow their lead to maximize revenue.

20. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Some people see politics in picking a side...but it just means less sales.