PS3 online play?

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by CJ, Jun 13, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I know there is a big LIVE group here but I'm considering getting a PS3 for BD. I actually would rather have a 360 as a game machine but since I don't game that much and already have a Wii and HD-DVD player which makes the 360 not a good bet because if I don't end up gaming much, I don't benefit from it while, if I get a PS3 there will be some games I want to play and if not, I'll have a BD player.

So, long story short, is the online gaming feature of PS3 worth a dang? Does anyone here use it? If so, what games?

2. Eric

Eric Active Member

I've gone online a couple of times for Resistance. It works fairly well, but I always just join random games. End up getting my a$$ handed to me by all the little weenies who practically live in front of their video game displays.

Only other game I have is FEAR, and I haven't been online yet.

Overall online experience isn't bad, but it's not unified like live is. It seems each game has its own online interface. Maybe this fall when sony gets Home up and running they'll be at least one step closer. MS has done a hell of a job with live, and they set the bar pretty high for Sony.

3. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Admit it.

You just don't want to get on Live because all the HTL studs here would wipe the floor with your butt! :)

On a more serious note... There is almost no time of day when at least someone from HTL is not online and playing. If you enjoy the social aspect of gaming then I would recommend going 360 and Live.

4. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I've never even used it and even I understand what Live has done. Its a revolution, a very impressive platform and certainly sets the bar. I was just curious about what Sony was bringing to the table.

5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Good luck with that.

8)

[​IMG]

6. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

That's only cause Drew is covering all the shifts. 8)

7. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, not really what I was talking about, more the online play with people you know from the real world, like people do with LIVE.

8. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

With the exception of Shane and Eric, do you know anyone use PS3's online component?

As it is, I don't think either Shane or Eric use the online gaming portion much (if at all).

9. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

No, I don't know anyone else, I was just asking out of curiosity as I was sure someone knew what was available.

10. Shane

Shane Active Member

I do but only a few times have I used it yet with Motorstorm. The interface is SLICK but it's not unified like Live.

It's very easy to join a game and play. The main games are hosted by Sony so literally there is no lag especially for large games like Resistance.

The headset you use is optional but you can use your BT headset if you have a Cell phone BT headset. The controller is BT as well.

I prefer the menu system on the PS3 than the 360 but live is so integrated into the 360 that it makes it hard to compare.

Sony is working on an achievement point system like the 360 but it won't be live until HOME goes live. I think HOME is going to be their answer to live based on what I can see so far.

11. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

OK. For a second it sounded like you were looking to hang out and play with people you know.

I will say that there is often someone from HTL online. I played a game of Catan with Troy today. Of course, we both got beat down by the computer AI, but it was still fun.

:D

12. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

While the PSN has a long way to go in terms of being a match for Live, it does have some bright spots. Resistance is the main one and I generally have fun playing it online. If anyone else has a PS3, my PSN id is leafs80. Although to be honest, you're more likely to find me on Live. :)

13. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Personally I don't think Home is going to reach the simplicity and effectiveness of Live. Yeah, it's free, and yeah, the interface is second life-cool, but for me and my thirty-something gaming friends it's not about community. It's about popping on every Friday night at 10 with a twelve pack of beer and my friends in four states and two countries and chainsawing each other till three in the morning. None of us are going to spend time bouncing around a Sony sponsored virtual MySpace. It kind of flies in the face of everything that is 2Old 2Pwn.

14. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Play Station Live is notoriously horrible. The online play i just couldn't get into. If i were to get the PS3 it would not be for online play. I would get it for the campaign modes and the Blu-Ray Disc.

15. Eric

Eric Active Member

To be fair Drew, PSN on the PS3 is light years better than any PS2 online play. Still not up to par with Live, but I'm betting they'll get there. Live wasn't perfect in its first iteration.

16. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

I understand. I wasn't trying to say the PS3 live is worse than the PS2 live. I am comparing the live to other consoles live networks. But it is all an opinion. Some people are loyal to Play Station and think it is good others can't stand it(Me). So you have to try it for yourself really.

17. Before you buy a PS3 you might want to take a breath and look into the function of a period. :wink:

18. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I'm conserving keystrokes

19. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair New Member

Live is way better at this point and where you'll find me most of the time.

Hopefully the headset support gets better around firmware 2.0 for the PS3, there have been lots of problems in 1.80 and 1.81, for me it's pretty much unusable.

And even when headsets were working well, most people on the PS3 don't play with them since it wasn't included in the box. :evil:

Honestly Live online gameplay was better in 2002 than PSN is in 2007, Sony really has no excuse.