PS3 remote that may work with Harmonys

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by CJ, Jun 19, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

http://www.amazon.com/Blu-Wave-Remote-for-PS3/dp/B000R5H7KE/

Saw this link on AVS. Basically you have to view it like you're paying $13 for the USB "dongle" that receives IR because you're only going to use the remote to program your Harmony. The thread said an AVS member has done this and it works.

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Sold! I should be getting my new Harmony battery in the next week, so I will (hopefully) be able to use this Nyko remote to program the Harmony.

- Steve

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Steve:
    So was this a rechargeable battery issue like we were discussing last week where folks said issues didn't usually exist with said battery? If so, how long were you w/o the remote?

4. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

:roll: Try to restrain your glee Alfer.

5. Alfer

Alfer New Member

No glee....just making a mental note of all the bashing I took over this issue and sure enough it happens soon after our "talks"...Interesting how things work around here sometimes.

Hey being without a remote would suck though...I don't take pleasure in having someone in the HT world go w/o one..it would be a real pain.

6. Eric

Eric Active Member

I knew it was only a matter of time until someone came out with a decent IR solution for the PS3. As soon as I'm in the new house, this bad boy's getting ordered! :D

7. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Does this still have the same IR delay that the PS2 workaround has?

8. Steve Tannehill

This was a Harmony 890 that has been idle since I ordered it in January. The 880 has been working fine for some time now.

- Steve

9. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair New Member

I've heard that some generic USB irDA dongles do the trick, but the problem is knowing which ones. I bought an official PS2 remote for 3 bucks but of course it doesn't have a dongle since the PS2 had IR built in.

10. Eric

Eric Active Member

Yeah the trick here is to get the remote for one of the first gen PS2's. Originally they didn't have IR built in.

11. Steve Tannehill

This remote is a waste of money.

It has no power button.

- Steve

12. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Arg, already ordered it. I guess you could leave the PS3 on all time but that's not ideal.

13. Shane

Shane Active Member

It is a problem if you can't stand the fan noise. Given how fragile electronics are now, I wouldn't mess with it.

The PS3 remote doesn't have a power button either but if you hold down the PS button either on the center of the remote or joystick, the PS3 will give you the option to turn it off.

14. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Fan noise isn't a problem for me since its in a completely separate room, but I'd like to have it turn on and off with my harmony macros. Maybe once the USB IR receiver is installed someone will come up with the power off command.

15. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Especially since it draws 400'ish watts of electricity when it's turned on.

Andrew
    Honey, why is the room so warm and why did the electric bill go up $40 this month

16. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Ug, screw that then. I guess I'll just power it on/off manually for now. Shipping was 50% of the cost of that remote so there's no point returning it.

17. Shane

Shane Active Member

This is why I use the BT remote :)

Different strokes though.

18. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah but then you have to use two remotes unlike me who... doh, never mind :( Seriously though, if not for this problem this would have allowed me to only have to use my Harmony remote. I'm still wondering if you can hold down one of the buttons and have it bring up the menu to power down the machine or something... we'll see.

19. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair New Member

I still have to go to the PS3 to put the movie in (which turns on the system) and take it out, so I'm not too worried about a lack of the power button.

20. Greg W

Greg W New Member

As has been stated, you can turn the power on and off with either the after-market remote or the game controller. You can eject the disc with the remote.