1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Ps3 upscaling & 1080p/24 is coming tomorrow!!

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Shane, May 23, 2007.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

Firmware 1.80
    http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/05/23/firmware-1-80-to-include-1080p-upscaling-for-games-and-movies/

Latest PLAYSTATION?3 Firmware Update Provides PlayStation?, PlayStation?2 and DVD Upscaling

Remote Play on PSP?(PlayStation?Portable) via the Internet and DLNA transfer of media content also enabled

London, 24 May 2007 ? Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION?3 (PS3?) firmware. Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation? and PlayStation?2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

The capability to upscale DVDs to HD quality is a feature normally only associated with top range DVD players, and its inclusion in the latest firmware upgrade now allows PS3 owners with an existing DVD collection to dramatically1 enhance the viewing pleasure of their DVD collection when viewed through a compatible HD TV set. Not only are DVD movies enhanced to full 1080p HD quality but so too will PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games be upscaled to provide much improved gaming pleasure.

In a comprehensive update to PS3?s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available2.

Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3?s credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room.

A host of other enhancements includes the ability to print photo images stored on PS3?s hard disk drive or inserted storage media to a selection of Epson printers via USB connection.

PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.80 firmware from 24th May 2007.

Notes:
    1. DVD-ROM (including DVD Video content) can only be upscaled with HDMI compatible TV sets.

2. Use of Remote Play requires PS3 version 1.80 as well as PSP firmware version 3.50 which will be available at the end of May.

3. DLNA ? Digital Living Network Alliance. For more info on DLNA, please see http://www.dlna.org/en/consumer/home

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Downloading it now!

- Steve

3. Shane

Shane Active Member

For us HD fans here is what they fixed:

Upscaling DVD's via HDMI(no component).
    Upscaling games to HD via component or HDMI
    720P output via BR is back and working!!
    WTW and Blacker than black fixed!!!!
    1080P 24 support.

This is the motherload minus the DTS MA upgrade!

Booya!

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

The Fifth Element Superbit has just become my favorite demo DVD. :)

- Steve

5. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Ohhhh, my Canon camcorder records at 1080/24....hmmmm Must suffer through a transcode and give it a shot.

6. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair New Member

The scaling is of no use to me (my 1365x768 Pioneer plasma, to my eye, looks better when fed 480i via HDMI) but the 24fps playback works GREAT! The Pioneer already reduced judder (Advanced Cinema) but I did see breaks in cadence and now it is SOLID. It's great that even though my PS3 is configured for 720p, it can automatically play movies in 1080p/24 when it detects that my set supports it.

Even Planet Earth is 24fps encoded. Only my Nine Inch Nails disc is not.

Oh, and they now offer Super Bit Mapping for SACD->PCM.

7. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

How does one get the firmware installed if they don't have an internet connection? Is there a way to do it with a thumbdrive?

8. Michael St. Clair

9. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Cool thanks. My brother has a PS3 but he doesn't have internet. I'll install this for him over the weekend.

10. Shane

Shane Active Member

I'll do some scaling tests tonight with:

DVD's comparing 480P, 720P and 1080I
    BR discs 1080I vs 720P
    PS2 game(Only have GOD of War to play with).

I'll report back.

Early reports from me indicate this update is HUGE.

They essentially knocked out 5 of the top complaints about the PS3 in one whack!!!

11. Shane

Shane Active Member

Here are my results:

PS3 via HDMI to a Panasonic 9UK 768P Plasma TV.

PS2 games: With God of War and the output set at 720P with smoothing, I'm seeing a visible improvement. Since God of War supports 16x9, I'm seeing the proper composition here.

PS3 - Using the demos I have, the improvement over 1080I is noticable in that I'm not seeing the frame dropping I started seeing once I switched back. It wasn't obvious but the picture is MUCH sharper and more detailed with 720P selected.

Movies - Blu Ray:
    I tried several and the visible improvement is HUGE over 1080I. POTC 2 looks better than It did.. I'm impressed.

DVD Upscaled:
    Using I-Robot SE as my disc I saw a slight visible improvement but it's not night or day and not worth screaming about. As an upscaler I'd say its not on par with the standalone Toshiba HD DVD players and not even close to the reon chip in the XA2.

720P was a DEFINITE improvement here. This update is HUGE.

Once DTS MA gets added(if ever), then I have found the perfect BR player for me. A trade off is they would enable the PS3 to output bitstream thru HDMI to my future receiver and let it decode the DTS HD, PCM, DTS MA and DD True HD streams. Let's hope they are listening.

12. Greg W

Greg W New Member

Is there a guide somewhere to how to do it without an internet connection? Thanks.

13. Michael St. Clair

14. Greg W

Greg W New Member

15. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

Why do you think this is? Did they fix a BTB or WTW issue? I'm curious, because from all the talk I've heard, the PS3 was right up there as one of the best Blu-Ray players.

16. Michael St. Clair

It had a major shortcoming in not supporting conversion to 720p, which is critical because around half of all 720p sets out there, including some very good ones, don't do a good job of converting 1080i film sourced material.

17. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

Got it. I thought that Shane was saying the improvement on 1080i output was huge; What he meant was that he sees a huge improvement in using 720P from the PS3 versus using 1080i from the PS3?

18. Michael St. Clair

Well, that's what I thought, but maybe I'm misinterpreting as well. Shane?

19. cjd

cjd New Member

Every review I've read basically state that this update suddenly makes the PS3 everything it was intended to be BUT a gaming machine (i.e. it covers the whole home entertainment thing superbly now) - and the gaming bit is only due to lack of titles, something Sony can only do so much to solve.

And, of course, they like to point out that it's also something they feel was worth the $600 too.

This sound right to the folks here using this?

20. Shane

Shane Active Member

You are correct Michael. My set doesn't IMHO do a good job with 1080I material so 720P native was far superior over 1080I from the PS3.
    Part of what Michael said and they did fix btb and wtw. BOTH of them.

this was a monster update.
    It's more than worth it now. The media center stuff they just put in is a Home Run. Essentially my PS3 is now a Wi FI media hub. I was looking at my photos on my ps3 last night in fact.