1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Question for CJ

Discussion in 'The Photography Lounge' started by Chris Slade, May 4, 2017.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

It seems that the digital t/c is known to do a pretty good job. It sounds like this only changes the JPG (basically zooms the jpg). Do you agree with this? Reason I am asking is I set the camera to only shoot raw, so I only have half as many files to manage, I only edit raw anyway, and export to jpg for the web I guess. Only fooling around right now regardless.

So the question is I guess is the t/c useless for raw only shooters? I think it is.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I think that is correct. I've never used it. I shoot RAW + JPG but I never really use the JPG so I'm never sure why but storage is cheap and LR merges the files essentially so I don't "see" both. I can crop in post if I need to and the image quality allows.

3. Chris Slade

What I really want (but am not going to get) is an even longer fast lens. I don't think it even exists and if it did I would probably not be willing to pay for it. Shooting hockey with less than a 2.8 I think would be futile for me, but I'd love to get even closer. The look on kids faces in the middle of the action are great.

Yeah I am positive that is how it works.... RAW is RAW so it is not changing that.

I love this camera kit now, but it the back of my mind I remember having a Canon L something to 200mm 2.8. That lens was bad ass, and I think my current equipment cannot/would not match that lens in these poorly lit rinks. We have a road trip this weekend with four games in two days. I'll take a bunch of shots in a few different rinks and get a better impression. Basically so far I shoot in Aperture Priority mode, limit auto ISO to 6400 as discussed, and hope for the best. But I am thinking I might be able to do better. After doing a substantial crop to an image I think I would be better at a lower ISO if I can keep the shutter speed manageable. It's been a long time since I shot in full manual mode.

4. Chris Slade

I have a fair number of shots to work with now, a few pretty damn good, a bunch okay and some garbage. Haven't really posted anything much other than gag type shots as I am not really happy with my images yet. And learning to improve them in Lightroom is a bit of a challenge... landscape and portrait workflows are easy to find. Something that applies to my shots is a little tougher.

5. CJ

If you want to send me a couple via dropbox I'd be happy to play with them and if you like the results, share my process.

6. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

6400 ISO...there must be a ton of noise in those pics?

7. CJ

Not necessarily.

8. Chris Slade

Agreed the noise at 6400 is not near as bad as might be assumed. Is the balancing act, wide open, fast enough shutter to freeze the action and managing the noise that is the issue. Kind of hard place to learn/get back into it.

9. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

I guess so, I typically don't like going over 3200 usually and often that's when I'm shooting a poorly lit concert.

10. CJ

It all depends on lighting. Shooting high ISO in decent light to get more shutter speed will produce a lot less noise than shooting high ISO in low light to get a shot at all.

11. Chris Slade

Sitting here thinking about.... all I think I can do during the first game, is try and use a slower shutter speed and see if I can drop the ISO. For sure staying at 2.8.