Questions about Toshiba HD-A2

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Pete Apruzzese, May 29, 2007.

1. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

It's still on sale around here for $249, so I want to pick it up but have a couple of questions. Forgive me if they are basic, but I haven't been following too closely the HD-DVD/BluRay formats.

1. My projector is an older 1366x768 LCD with only component inputs (and won't be upgraded for a couple of years), so the 1080i output should be ideal, I think. Have there been any HD-DVD releases crippled by ICT down-rezzing via component?

2. This will be replacing a Panasonic RP-91 - is the picture quality on the HD-A2 as good as the RP-91 on standard DVDs?

3. Any playability issues with rentals via Netflix?

Thanks,

Pete

2. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

No ICT enabled discs yet. I don't think that will be an issue with either format for 2-3 more years.

Cannot comment on the RP-91, but I can say that over component the HD-A1 is not as nice as the RP-82.

I had one issue with a Netflix rental that was resolved by cleaning the disc. I know that some have had chronic issues with rental discs. Not sure if it is player related, disc related or a combination of both.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I've had chronic issues with rentals but I bought a refurb machine and don't really have an recourse. Its pretty frustrating and has damped my enthusiasm a little bit but I'll live.

4. Shane

Shane Active Member

1. no.
    2. Since it will be 480P limited(no upscaling), I'd bet the picture is probably not as good as a 91. Then again you will get spoiled and not watch much SD :)
    3. Yes. I've had quite a few on HD DVD. None on BR due to the coating. All combos. I really despise combos now.

5. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

Thanks, guys. Looks like one will be coming home with me this week :)

Pete