1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Questions about Toshiba HD-A2

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Pete Apruzzese, May 29, 2007.

1. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

It's still on sale around here for $249, so I want to pick it up but have a couple of questions. Forgive me if they are basic, but I haven't been following too closely the HD-DVD/BluRay formats.

1. My projector is an older 1366x768 LCD with only component inputs (and won't be upgraded for a couple of years), so the 1080i output should be ideal, I think. Have there been any HD-DVD releases crippled by ICT down-rezzing via component?

2. This will be replacing a Panasonic RP-91 - is the picture quality on the HD-A2 as good as the RP-91 on standard DVDs?

3. Any playability issues with rentals via Netflix?

Thanks,

Pete

2. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

No ICT enabled discs yet. I don't think that will be an issue with either format for 2-3 more years.

Cannot comment on the RP-91, but I can say that over component the HD-A1 is not as nice as the RP-82.

I had one issue with a Netflix rental that was resolved by cleaning the disc. I know that some have had chronic issues with rental discs. Not sure if it is player related, disc related or a combination of both.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I've had chronic issues with rentals but I bought a refurb machine and don't really have an recourse. Its pretty frustrating and has damped my enthusiasm a little bit but I'll live.

4. Shane

Shane Active Member

1. no.
    2. Since it will be 480P limited(no upscaling), I'd bet the picture is probably not as good as a 91. Then again you will get spoiled and not watch much SD :)
    3. Yes. I've had quite a few on HD DVD. None on BR due to the coating. All combos. I really despise combos now.

5. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

Thanks, guys. Looks like one will be coming home with me this week :)

Pete