1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Questions on Blu-ray players

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Max Yokell, Jun 3, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

I want to add a Blu-ray player and I am not exactly sure which way to go...

I have been considering the 2nd gen Panasonic player which comes with 5 free movies but as of yet I have not found one for sale.

Then I have been thinking about a PS 3 really as a Blu-Ray only player.

What are the pros and cons of the PS3 as a blu-ray player? Can it do all the advanced audio formats?

Does the Panasonic do all the advanced audio formats? Is the Pany HDMI 1.3?

Or there other players in the $600 dollar price range I should consider?

Max

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member

Max, I have the Sony BDP-S1, and a PS3.

I primarily use the PS3. That last software update made it a true home media hub, permitting playback of music and video from computers on your home network. The $600 PS3 has WiFI, card readers, and a hard drive that you can even replace/expand yourself.

The PS3 is now an upconverting DVD player--the picture quality is extremely good.

I've had nary a problem playing back Blu-ray discs, either. I am not sure, however, if it passes advanced audio via HDMI--I do not have an HDMI receiver.

One down side to the PS3--the remote control is Bluetooth, meaning that unless you work out a hack with an old PS2 remote, you won't be able to program a universal remote with the PS3 remote.

Oh, and I understand that the PS3 can be used for games, too. ;)

- Steve

3. Greg W

Greg W New Member

I'd have to agree that the PS3 is hands down the best bang for your buck for a blu-ray player after the 1.8 firmware update, given everything else that it does, especially (for videophiles) the SD DVD upconversion that it does. The remote thing IS very annoying however, until you learn which buttons on the controller do what during dvd playback. However, there is an aftermarket bluetooth remote available that looks and functions like any other dvd remote. Still not a perfect solution -- you still have to have that extra remote -- but to me, the controller is annoying enough to make it worth the 40 bucks. That's one of the next things on my list.

4. Eric

Eric Active Member

The PS3 does indeed pass the audio over HDMI. It currently does all the advanced audio codecs, with the exception of DTS Master HD. It also stands the best chance of being "future proof" for BD-Java. A lot of talk of it being upgradable for DTS Master HD as well. We'll have to just wait and see.

If you check over at Remote Central, there are ways to get an old PS2 IR remote working on the PS3. I, for one, don't like that set up. Too much of a kluge. I'm sure a third party will eventually come up with a decent IR remote and dongle for it.

5. Shane

Shane Active Member

The remote is the only negative but really the BT remote you can buy is pretty good except it's not backlit.

The PS3 does everything except Master HD which Eric eludes to.

No. It doesn't do Master HD audio either. It's HDMI 1.2A not 1.3.
    The only other one right now is the Samsung. It doesn't do advanced audio at all except PCM.

6. Greg W

Greg W New Member

Okay after ordering the remote on amazon ((it was $26 dollars, not 40 like I thought originally)), I have to say, it's absolutely worth the minimal amount of money. The only downside to it is that you can't turn the machine on or off with it. But it solves the problem (that I had, anyway), of hitting the 'skip chapter' thumbswitch button instead of the 'ff' one...something I did frequently and that was very annoying. Well worth $26 bucks to me to have the familar dvd buttons...

7. Steve Tannehill

Are you speaking of the PS3 blu-ray remote, Greg?

You can turn off the PS3 by pressing and holding the PS button....

- Steve

8. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

For future reference, the correct word is 'alludes'. :wink:

9. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Unless he was hiding from it. ;)

10. Greg W

Greg W New Member

Oh, sweet! Thanks Steve, I didn't know that!

11. hgroff

hgroff New Member

One more time to make sure I understand. Are you guys saying that you can not program a Harmony remote, because you have to have a bluetooth capable remote? Thats messed up. So now if thats correct Harmony will need to go blue tooth soon, or have a blue tooth option......

12. Steve Tannehill

Since the current PS3 blu-ray remote is bluetooth only, the Harmony can not learn or transmit its commands.

There is a workaround if you have the old, original PS2 DVD remote, but it's a kludge.

- Steve

13. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

... or use a stand-alone player not a PS3. :)

14. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

You can program a Harmony remote. It just won't work with the PS3 since the PS3 does not have an IR input.

15. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I wonder what the chances are that someone will create an IR to BT transceiver?

16. Shane

Shane Active Member

It will if you use the work around solution using a PS3 remote and the adapter you can buy at Radio Shack.

I just chose to use the BT remote.

17. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

What is the Radio Shack work around?

I have heard about the PS2 remote workaround, but not the RS workaround.

18. Shane

Shane Active Member

19. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Maybe I am not reading things correcty, but it seems like you need the Radio Shack part and a specific version of the PS2 DVD remote control. Then you program your universal control to use the PS2s IR codes. It also sounds like there may be some remote command delays compared to using a BT remote.

This does sound a bit kludgy. Just buying and having the second bluetooth remote for the PS3 sounds like less of a pain, even if it is not ideal for those who love their universal remotes.

20. Shane

Shane Active Member

You are reading it correctly.

That's why I bought the BT remote.