1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Questions on HD X2 and HD-A2/D2

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Max Yokell, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

Ok I am thinking of going out and picking up an HD player or 2 today. On the HD-DVD side I am considering the X2 or the A2/D2 and I know one does the 1080P and the other does only 1080I but what are the other differences between them?

Do they both have 1.3 HDMIs?

Do they both have the same DVD upconversion chip?

Can they both do all the advanced audio formats?

Max

2. Greg W

Greg W New Member

Max, two things make th X2 well worth the premium, in my mind:

1080p output via HDMI
    The Reon processing chip.

The A2/D2, I believe, only does 1080i. The A20 DOES give you 1080p output for about $100 more than the A2, but does not have the upconversion processor. I have the X2, and there is a significant improvement in visual quality when watching SD DVDs. If it's within your budget, I'd definitely get the X2. It also has some more connections.

The remote sucks though. I don't imagine that'll bother you too much, I'm pretty sure you have a universal.

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member

The HD-A2 and HD-D2 both have Ethernet.

- Steve

4. Greg W

Greg W New Member

Ah, my mistake, I'll edit it.

5. Steve Tannehill

While the HD-XA2 sounds like an excellent machine, it is currently pushing $600 with the Toshiba instant rebate. This is twice the cost of the HD-A2/D2, more if you get it at Costco or Sams.

This may be worth it to you... it is tempting even to me. The upconversion of the Reon chip sounds like the greatest thing since sliced bread.

However, for that extra $300-$350, you could just get an Oppo... if you get the Oppo 981, you get SACD and DVD Audio playback to boot.

http://oppodigital.com/dv981hd/dv981hd_comp.html

Decisions, decisions.

- Steve

6. Greg W

Greg W New Member

I wonder how the faroudja chip compares to the reon. Have you seen any comparisons, Steve?

7. Max Yokell

Oddly it seems one of the receivers I am seriously considering has the reon chip. Home many Reons need to be in a system. :)

Max

8. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

I'm guessing, but I think the X2 has analog outs for 5.1 audio/Dolby True HD;
    For the A2, Dolby True HD is only available thru HDMI.

9. Chris White

Chris White New Member

That's right, the X2 gives you analog out. Max, be sure to check Value Electronics. They generally have the best prices.

10. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Max, let us know what you get. I'm thinking a poll is due again as there has been a rash of player purchases on both formats recently.

11. Greg W

Greg W New Member

Just one. The lowest-priced onkyo that has the Reon chip is the TX-SR875, which retails for roughly $1700. The next model down (without the chip) is $1100. There are, of course, other significant differences that may or may not be important to you. But if the chip was your main consideration, you could then get the X2 and the less expensive onkyo for roughly the same price as the 875.

12. Max Yokell

So far I am still holding my cards.

Greg,
    I knew I only needed one, but I was thinking of the 875 but mainly for the 4 HDMI inputs though not the reon chip.

I still am considering the Denon 4308 or the 3808 as well.

MAx

13. Greg W

Greg W New Member

Ah, in that case, no reason, I think, to get the X2 over the A20 (which also does 1080p). The 875 is going to do all the advance audio that the X2 does anyway, so you can save a couple hundred with the A20 then, and with 4 HDMI inputs, you wouldn't need the advanced audio over analog that the X2 has....

14. Max Yokell

Now you mean the A2 or what exactly is an A 20 is that a first gen unit, I thought the new ones were the A2 and the X2 is the A20 one of the slower first gens?

Max

15. Steve Tannehill

The HD-A1 and HD-XA1 are first-gen.

The HD-A2/D2 and HD-XA2 are second-gen.

The HD-A20 is gen 2.5...kinda like the A2/D2, but with 1080p.

- Steve

16. Greg W

Greg W New Member

What he said ^^ :) Given the parameters that I know so far about you, the A20 seems like the best thing for you. The things that it doesn't do that the X2 does will be done by your 875.

Edit:

Of course, that's without knowing anything about the Denons, yet. AFAIK, there is no info released on them yet?

17. Max Yokell

There was lots of info released on the Denon stuff and it was posted over at HTT by Shane. :(

Max

18. Greg W

Greg W New Member

Bummer I would've liked to have seen that.