1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

R.I.P. Gregg Alman

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by DYohn, May 27, 2017.

1. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

2. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Damn
    RIP

3. Carl V

4. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

It is hard for me to express how this loss affects me. I was 16 when I hit the radio (at an AM station!) playing "progressive rock." I accepted a weekly assignment to play an entire album that seemed important to me. One of them was the "Allman Brothers Band", their first. It is still a fine recording. But a mixed-race outfit playing rock-blues with hints of country, jazz and more shot an arrow into my heart whose effects never went away. I played the hell outta that record, and when the band came through our little Florida town they sent me tickets. Gregg's whiskey growl sounded perfect over the top of the band. They had a ton of percussion and two fine guitar players. The sum of those parts made the locomotive on the cover of "Live at the Fillmore" weep as if it were short on power by comparison.

These guys were as redneck as could be. But that feeling left as they grew up listening to the blues greats. They showed all of us that the races working together could create something special.

I saw Gregg with his band not long after his liver transplant. He personally walked his mother up to the front row. He was nervous and not entirely at the top of his game. But the crowd urged him on, true fans as they were. Other shows I saw after that were outstanding, both with the ABB and solo. He played Warren Haynes' Christmas Jam a number of times through the years. We always loved the performances. And I miss him already. I think I'll play some "Low Country Blues".

Good Lord I feel like I'm dying.

DYohn likes this.
  5. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

I just played the "I'm No Angel" CD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Denton likes this.
  6. Denton

DYohn likes this.
  7. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Say hello to your brother for us Greg.

8. Carl V

When I first arrived in OKC 1987
    i saw him on the No Angle Tour" with SVR

Saw the Brothers perform a few times in the early 70's

NIce song "GOD REST HIS SOUL"....can't say as I recall hearing that.

DYohn likes this.
  9. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Years ago..back in the late 80's I went to the Firecracker 400 in Daytona with a friend. We met Kyle Petty at one bar and we ended up hanging out with a guy who denied he was Greg Allman. We hung with him playing pool till the bar closed, he then told us about a bottle club and said we could go pick up some beers real quick from a stop and shop store and head over there, and he wanted a ride too. He picked up the beer and paid for it all as we gave him a ride and we went to this bottle club and hung with him for a while longer playing pool and eventually dropped him at a hotel on Daytona beach.

My buddy Jim and I swore it was Greg Allman no matter how much he denied it, eventually I knew someone who was a roadie and knew him pretty well and he told me that it sounds exactly what he would do. Go out deny it was himself and he told me that even when there were no races going on he loved Daytona and really was from just up the Rd in southern Ga. When I told him of the story this roadie told me it really sounds like you were hanging out with him because he loved to be a loaner in bars and Not be Greg Allman.

10. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

This video is the real deal. It has it's video quirks, a victim of the times when the cameras really weren't sure where to be, and trouble with Greg's vocals at the beginning, but this captures the original lineup at their absolute best.

11. Denton

I'm ahead of my brother in dealing with this loss. He can't make it through this song:

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Active Member War Zone Member

My mother and step-father are both from Macon, GA. My step-father was a huge fan and said on more than one occasion that he used to see the Allman brothers perform in Macon's Central City Park before they were "The Allman Brothers". I imagine he would take this death very badly were he still alive himself.

I've seen lots of pictures from the funeral on my Facebook page today from friends and family who still live there. It made me happy to see that Cher showed up for the funeral.

13. Denton