1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Racing Wheel for 360

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Troy Seufert, May 24, 2007.

?

Do you own a racing wheel for your 360?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not yet but I want one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Just curious if anyone has purchased a racing wheel and what you think of it if you did.

Would a game like Forza2 or DIRT make you consider getting one?

2. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

I might... and this is a big "might"... consider it if the price was significantly lower than it is, but I simply do not enjoy racing games enough to warrant it.

3. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

I got it for Christmas this past year. It came with a forcefeedback version of PGR2. Very cool wheel. I'm just waiting for the new NASCAR game.

4. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Does the demo version of Forza 2 work with the steering wheel?

I have contemplated getting the wheel to see if it gets me more excited about racing games. I don't think I could get into Forza 2 w/o a steering wheel as you need a soft touch in order to take the turns at optimum speed.

5. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Ken,

Did you get the Microsoft Wheel or a third party one? How do you use yours? Do you just rest it in your lap? Place it on a coffee table? (that seems too low)

6. Ken McDaniel

Sit in chair with wheel on lap, pedals on floor. It's the MS model. Have not tried it with the Forza 2 demo. I'll give it a spin and see how it works.

7. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

I plan on getting one to play Test Drive with it.

8. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Cool. Update us with your impressions. The DiRT demo came out today too.

9. Shane

Shane Active Member

Ken,
    It should work according to another game board I visit. Someone was selling their wheel there for a great deal($100).

10. Ken McDaniel

I'll be able to hook it up Monday or Tuesday. We're heading out of town tomorrow.

11. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

Well this is timely:
    Via Major Nelson

12. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Hmmm....hopefully it still includes a copy of PGR3! That's pretty sweet.

13. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

It does... link coming in the Weekly 360 :)

14. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Mike,

Future Shop has it for only $99...CANADIAN! Holy crap. Can you uh buy me one? :)

Maybe I'll drive up to Vancouver this weekend.

*calculates price of gas to see if he will actually save money doing this*

15. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

I'd be interested in impressions of the MS wheel. I bought another one for my old XBox to play PGR2 and it's pretty decent. So I need a compelling reason to upgrade if at all.

16. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

PCNation has dropped their price to $104 with FREE shipping. 3 Day FedEx.

LINK

17. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

I forgot to come back to this thread. I picked up the MS Wheel almost two weeks ago now. So far I have only played it in PGR, Forza2 Demo and the DiRT Demo.

My initial impressions were not so good. I was crashing into everything. I couldn't steer worth crap. However it was late and I chalked it up to being new and me being tired.

Next day I tried some more and was still struggling. Then I did a couple things that helped. I mounted it to the coffee table instead of sitting it in my lap. I took off my shoes and played barefoot. WOW. Suddenly I was having an amazingly good time!! There is definitely a learning curve to the thing and at this point I can't race as well with it as I can with a controller, but the immersion factor is just too cool.

Next up is to get some sort of TV tray or something to mount the wheel to, as the coffee table is a tad too low and makes the back hurt after a bit.

18. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

I wondered about the "lap mount" and it seemed suspect to me. I've used a couple of nice wheels on the PC in the past and I always had them mounted to my table while playing. I think things will get better once you get it installed at a more comfortable height. I'm assuming that it will work better for some games than others- I would think it would be designed to work well with Forza2 and Dirt, since they are upcoming titles, while PGR3 pre-dates the wheel by quite a bit, so maybe that one won't have as good a feel.

I'm very curious to hear more after you've lived with it for a while since I'm still seriously considering it for sometime this summer...

-Dennis