1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Ratatouille movie review

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by stephenj, Jun 16, 2007.

1. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

I attended a sneak preview of Ratatouille tonite. I have to admit that i was at least partially wrong when i suggested that this flick would be Disney-Pixar's first flop: while it may still flop at the box office, it certainly isn't an artistic flop, quite the contrary, it was very good - miles ahead of recent animated films such as shrek 3 and surf's up.

As usual for DP, the animation was superb. So much so that it at times it was almost distracting. With high-speed computers and graphics software and whatnot, everyone can make great-looking animated characters, but scenes with multiple interacting characters, and still-shots that draw attention to the back-scenery still separate the wheat from the chaffe, and Ratatouille has a lot of "wow" moments with these.

And the story is engaging. The main rat character has plenty of charisma, and the action moves right along. I wondered whether a tale involving a rat cook could avoid being boring, but i was wrong about that too. A good number of laughs here.

Anyway, Rat isn't a -great- film. Unlike Beauty and the Beast or the two Toy Story flicks, it doesn't elevate you to a higher place, so to speak. But it is very good.

8/10 stars.

PS - Before the film there is an *excellent* Pixar short called "lifted". Don't arrive late because you won't want to miss it. Their best short in a good while.

Also, we get to see a short preview of next summer's D-P movie, something called "wall.E". It's about a little robot.

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Glad you enjoyed it...I bet it does great at the box office..tis the season that families are looking for fun family fair and Pixar is pretty much THE guarantee badge of quality when families go looking for a family movie.

Bet it makes at least $40-50 million (if not even more)opening weekend.

3. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

I'm more pessimistic: $35m would be my guess. I just don't think it has the obvious kid-appeal, it's not flashy/glitzy.

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

June 29th opening weekends has total crap other than this movie, so I'm thinking Pixar will be able to pull in some good numbers since there is little to choose from for kids from now until then.

5. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

Glad to hear you really enjoyed it. I think it'll make a good amount it's opening weekend until July 3 when Transformers comes out. It's only real competition opening weekend is Die Hard 4 which comes out on the 27th. DH4 will still make money though to that weekend.

6. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

thanks!

7. Shane

Shane Active Member

I agree with Alfer, 40-50 seems right. However after that it gets dicey.
    Transformers and Harry Potter are right behind it so those could easily make Ratatoille a meager success.

8. Allen

Allen New Member War Zone Member

I'm really looking forward to this (although I must admit, the concept of a rat who likes to cook made me a little squeamish at first viewing of the previews - just takes a bit more "suspension of belief", which shouldn't be hard, when it's Pixar animation).

Thanks for the early review, Stephen.

My wife got me for Father's Day an autographed, framed cell from Ratatouille. (Signed by both Brad Bird and John Lasseter, obviously a charity auction item she scored while I was out of town.) It's certainly one of the cooler pieces of movie memorabilia I now have. :)

9. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

Wow! Lucky guy. :)

10. Allen

Saw this tonight - literally off a plane to catch the last show of the night.

The coolest message in the movie, IMO, is that the cliche' ?anyone can cook? ends up being supplanted by the more accurate statement ?not everyone can become a great artist but a great artist can come from anywhere.?

The only readily recognizable voice in the movie is Peter O'Toole as the food critic, Anton Ego. Although there are other "name" voice actors in the cast, maybe because of the French accents they used, I just didn't recognize them, which didn't really detract from the movie, but I did find interesting.

Like The Incredibles, Ratatouille is really about excelling in a democratic setting: Not everyone has equal talent or ability but there is no predicting, on the basis of class or nationality, where talent might arise.

Brad Bird is really a genius, as Iron Giant, The Incredibles, and now Ratatouille show.

11. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Not exactly a flop.....made $47.2 million on opening weekend.

:)

12. Allen

...and I expect word of mouth to give this really, really good "legs", unless some blockbuster just takes the wind out of its sails within the next two weeks or so.

13. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Wife and I caught the afternoon show and loved it. Not as overtly funny as previous Pixar films--the theme and tone were more adult, as was the message. Very enjoyable experience.

14. Alfer

Alfer New Member

For the most part is has little competition for several weeks in the catagory of truly family friendly fair....this is the type of movie the WHOLE fam can and will want to see...everything elese coming out is very specific to one type of group for the most part...i.e. sci-fi geeks or wizard fanatics etc.....

15. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

My favorite movie of the year so far. The grandkids liked it, too. :D

16. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

Caught this on the weekend. Great movie for the whole family. It even received a round of applause from the audience afterwards. It is probably my new top Pixar movie followed by The Incredibles.

17. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright New Member

Strange, the same thing happened in the theater I was in.

I really liked this movie.

18. DougBenn

DougBenn New Member

Round of applause at the one we attended as well. I really enjoyed this picture, although not as funny as most Pixar films, it was in the top 3 of my favorite Pixar flicks.