1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Recommend a whole house speaker system

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Colton, May 11, 2007.

1. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

I would like to have a company install (unless it's really damn easy) a whole house speaker system so we can listen to music in every room. Does anyone have any recommendations? I want it to be discreet and somewhat hidden.

2. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

I recommend you send a message to Buzz Goddard. He's an expert in this field.

3. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

I recommend making the house one room. It will be easier that way.

4. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

I recommend running 1000W amplifiers to, say, Avantegarde Trio speakers at 107 dB efficiency with some Basshorns. You'll hear your music in all your rooms.

Graeme

5. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Ooooooo, I never thought of that. That certainly makes much more sense. Colton is so freaking lucky to have found this site and get so many great options and opinions.

6. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Where do you live?

Someone might have experience with a custom install shop in your area.

7. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus New Member

i bought this stuff from parts express to put together a 7 room system. not audiophile, not 10 million bucks.

...but for the money these sound suprisingly nice.

install is pulling speaker wire. lots of it. beyond that pretty easy. (get a circle cutter if your celings are drywall, makes the holes really easy.)

all powered by a reciever i had laying arround.

id buy the same stuff again in a second. for background listening while entertaining, their perfect.

8. Buzz Goddard

Buzz Goddard New Member

Happy to direct you if you want some advice. There are not as many options as simple stereo, but it may feel like there are when you start digging into it.
    To get a good system all you need is good advice and money :lol:

Seriously it is a great thing and my whole family enjoys it very much every day. A very worthwhile investment!

Hey, maybe you can start a birth of a whole house music system thread!

9. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

What do you recommend, Buzz?

10. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member

netstream ;)

11. Shane

Shane Active Member

Systems can be pricey if you do it right. Figure $3k or more assuming you want quite a few independent zones of listening and dependent on features like a media server and the like.

12. Randy Anderson

Randy Anderson New Member

Crestron Audagio Controllers

and

Totem Ceiling Speakers

works pretty well for me. It's hard to find somebody who will sell the Crestron stuff without installing, but I did eventually.

The only thing I'd do different is I'd use a plywood backer board for the drywall in the speaker locationss. The drywall isn't stiff enough at higher volumes and tends to vibrate. Not a factor at background levels though.

13. Buzz Goddard

Buzz Goddard New Member

I recommend we chat so we can figure out the best plan of attack. So I sent you a PM!

14. How do you even do a stereo whole house system? Aren't they usually mono? Just wondering out loud...

15. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Not necessarily. My f-i-l installed whole house audio and he put two speakers in each room and ran separate L/R signals.

16. Randy Anderson

Randy Anderson New Member

Yea, your thinking about the lame ass "office" or "elevator" applications. Whole house audio has come a long way and you can get some pretty in depth systems that put out some great sound.

Being a niche market to date, makes it a bit pricey though. The WAF factor is quite high though, and I see this as a factor in more and more folks buying in.

17. I guess my thinking about mono whole house versus stereo had to do with the fact that most folks who want a whole house system want it for whole house music and usually use different speakers for serious seated listening. I imagine that if each room has two in wall/ceiling speakers that good stereo imaging could only be attained from between those two speakers... thereby, the value of mono? Is that not true anymore? How do installers make sure that the whole of each room gives good value to a wide area of stereo seperation and imaging?

18. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

It really depends on the specific install with the level of detail you're getting into. You can't defy physics/acoustics so you'll get whatever you get based on where you put them and where you're standing/sitting.

19. Shane

Shane Active Member

Randy,
    I sent you a Private message bout the Crestron ordeal.

I heard and saw several whole house systems at Cedia. Doesn't Magnolia/Best Buy sell a real basic one from Zon(I think)?

20. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member

there are stereo 'single' in ceiling speakers that sound pretty damn good. oh yeah, imaging typically is not a priority.