Remote controlled power strip?

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Saurav, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Or something along those lines... what do people do to add remote on/off capability to devices that don't have remote controls? I need this for my BFD and sub amp. Right now they're on a separate power strip that I turn on/off when I need it. Should I be looking at X-10? I looked at their website a long time ago, but it wasn't clear what exactly I needed.

2. Jason P

Jason P Member War Zone Member

I Know some of the Monster Power and Belkin units can do this. I have an old Monster Power Conditioner(HTS-2500 I think), and it has switched outlets that turn on when given a signal from another component. On mine the switched outlets can be triggered by a 120v signal or a 12vdc signal, so I use the switched outlet on the back of my receiver which I am using as a pre/pro to provide the 120v signal to turn on the switched outlets on the conditioner.

So to try to clarify, I have my receiver plugged into a nonswitched outlet on the conditioner, and my power amp plugged into a switched outlet on the conditioner. When I turn my rx on, the outlet on the back of the rx provides a signal to the conditioner to turn on the switched outlets, which then powers the amp. The outlet on the back of the rx is just triggering a relay. I think I made that clear as mud.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, I've heard of what Jason's talking about. Basically when the strip detects a draw on one outlet, it powers on the other(s). So you plug in a receiver to one and the amps into the others. etc.

4. Saurav

Hmm... I don't think my power strip does that, but it's something to look into. Thanks. Right now I have my stereo components on the switched outlets of the power strip, so turning the strip on turns on all the amps/crossovers/etc. of the stereo. The HT stuff (currently just a receiver and the Xbox) are on unswitched outlets, which is fine, since they have remote turn-on. That leaves the sub. But yeah, if I use a power strip that can do this, I could re-arrange things to work.

5. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

I never turn my BFD or sub amp off, except during a storm or when I go on vacation.

6. Shane

Shane Active Member

I plug those devices into the back of my receiver. When the receiver comes on, those devices come on.

7. Jason P

The problem with that Shane is you are potentially current limited off of those outlets. Also I have not seen many receivers with an earth ground, they mainly use just a two prong plug, which can also limit what you are able to plug in. For things like a tuner or a DAC, that is a good option however.

8. Shane

Shane Active Member

For me it's just a CD changer with a hard power button. I can't remotely turn it on or off. I wouldn't plug my amps or subwoofer into it.

9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ah, see, Michael said BFD and amp, and then you said "I plug those things..." So I thought you meant your BFD and amps.

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

Don't forget about power up sequence. If you power up the BFD when the sub amp has power (or even at the same time I believe) you'll get that lovely BFD thump.

I'm in the same boat now that I've got an Behringer EP2500 powering my subs. Buddy put together what the others are talking about for the power strip with about $15 in parts. I don't have the full picture in my head yet but he's built one. Just requires some basic wiring with a few relays. I'll post something after I get it done. But that might not be until mid July.

I plan to just leave the BFD powered all the time. It's current draw is supposed to be tiny. If what Behringer told me is true though, the EP2500 will draw 1 amp when just sitting there on. So that would work out to roughly $100 a year if I left it on all the time. The AVA250 plate amp I had before though according to Dan Wiggins would only draw about $10 a year when left on sitting doing nothing.

11. NathanP

NathanP New Member

"X-10" was the first thing that popped up in my mind.

12. svesta

svesta New Member

I have used a Xantech AC1 controlled outlet for this. It turns on with a 12v trigger. Very reliable, but a little pricy compared to something DIY.

This has been my IB amp control for a couple years now. The BFD stays on all the time to avoid the noise issue.

Steve

13. Saurav

Actually, my amp has a slight delay before it connects the signal path, so I've found that I can turn the power strip on and send power to the BFD and sub amp together, with no thump.

My receiver's really old, so I'll have to see what it has in terms of triggering abilities.

Hmm... I also use my sub with the stereo, sometimes... damn this is getting complicated. Thanks for that idea though, I was only thinking of remote control, I'd forgotten about triggering options.

14. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

My Panamax 5500 has 4 jacks for 12 volt triggers. Maybe it's time to move up from just power strips to something larger.

15. Saurav

Well, I have a Monster something-or-the-other with most of the stuff on it, but the sub is off on the other side of the room, which is why it's on a separate power strip :)

I guess I could check my Monster strip and see what it can do. I don't think it has any triggering though... Yeah, maybe just buy a new power thingy.

16. Would it be possible to keep the techno speak to a minimum. I can't learn a thing if I don't understand. :wink:

17. Saurav

My apologies. I was posting in a hurry and forgot to apply my usual "Would Larry understand this?" test.

18. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Active Member War Zone Member

My dad bought a unit from the tool dept. at Sears that could potentially work. He used it to automatically turn on his big dust collector whenever he turned on his table saw. I'm not sure exactly what it's called and I can't seem to find it online right now, but I'll keep looking.

19. Saurav

Another good idea. Thanks.

20. Jason P