1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Rocky Balboa

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Ken McDaniel, May 30, 2007.

1. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Couldn't find a previous thread on this one, but, wow. Seriously, I heard this movie reviewed well and that the general consensus is that it was a surprisingly decent film, but this movie manages to capture the emotion of the Rocky Balboa story that has been missing since the Oscar-nominated original. This is a very good film.

It also manages to effectively sum up the politics that have lent to the decline of the sport.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Totally agree. Very watchable and pretty poignant.

3. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Have not seen it, but I do want to.

Now that TV is in re-runs I hope to get through some of my very long Netflix queue.

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I watched the BD this past weekend, and enjoyed it.

- Steve

5. Shane

Shane Active Member

Awesome BR experience. Great movie. Very poignant. Defintely a nice bookend to the series.

6. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

I had to watch the scene with the Pennsylvania boxing commission twice. Might be Stallone's best moment ever caught on film.

7. I kinda liked it, but now that I know Stallone was using steriods, I am a little disappointed in him.

8. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

I'm starting to think that my brother and I are the only people who didn't like this movie. I agree that it was a better ending to the series than V but I thought it was pretty boring.

9. Eric

Eric Active Member

Not to pick nits, but I don't think HGH is technically a steroid. In any case, how else is a guy in his 60's supposed to get a physique like that? My plan is to just keep getting fatter. Chicks don't dig guys who are physically fit anyway. Right?

10. Greg W

Greg W New Member

God I hope not.

11. Shane

Shane Active Member

It isn't. Just ask Barry Bonds.

12. Jeff

Jeff New Member

finally got around to seeing this movie. I have to agree with everyone here, damn good movie and a fitting end to the series.

Jeff

13. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

IMO, the critics (and most of the posters in this thread) were rather kind to this movie. Yes, Stallone has his heart in the right place, but it's filled with cliches and contrived moments that set up 30-year flashbacks. And there's no way a 60 yr old boxer would be allowed in the ring with the champ. Stallone lays it on awfully thick.

That said, its good heart is enough to overcome all that and i gave it a thumbs-up, but barely.

14. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Stalone is 60, his character was not. He was supposed to be in his 50s. Considering real life boxers have won big fights in their 50s (Archie Moore won the Light Heavyweight title at 50) eh hell, what difference does it make, it didn't bug me I guess.

15. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Growth hormone is a not a steroid - - it is a protein.

16. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

I tried to watch this last night - - after about 45 minutes I wanted to swallow poison so I instead just turned it off. :)

Dreadful with a capital "D."

17. Shane

Shane Active Member

I love judging books by their covers as well ;)

18. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Hey, I gave it the better part of an hour - - David gives movies less than 10 minutes. :)

I accept that it may have gotten better; I just didn't want to suffer any longer for a possible reward.

19. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Perhaps some disagree but I found his acting to be terrible.

20. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I found the film modestly entertaining. All you need to do to see how bad it could have been is to watch the alternative ending. :eek: