1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Safari glitch, or something else????

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Randy Rhoton, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

When I come on line, I normally go to "posts since last visit". Sometimes, when I click on a thread and then hit the back arrow key, the index goes back to an earlier time when there were, say, only six posts. Then if I click on "index", and then "posts since last visit" again, it comes up to the current time with the correct number of threads shown, for example 17, or whatever. Why????? Admittedly not a big deal, but annoying.

This is a G-5 imac using Safari browser that it came with. As I am on no other forums, can't judge this as abnormal to my machine or not.

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I don't think it is Safari--no problems here. (Safari, Quad G5.)

- Steve

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Sounds like a cache or maybe cookie issue, but I'm not really that knowledgeable in this are. Isn't causing me any problems with Windows/FF. I'll try Windows Safari for a while at home and see if I can replicate the issue.

4. Randy Rhoton

Well, it's not doing it this morning. fine so far.

5. cjd

cjd New Member

The "back" button often does not re-request a page but simply feeds it from cache. So you'll see an "earlier" state of the page.

It's not just Safari. That's just how web browsers work.

When you consider how often this kind of behavior is practiced by users, serving from cache both improves performance dramatically for you, and cuts down on bandwidth usage for the server.

C

6. Randy Rhoton

Maybe so, but I asked because I didn't have it happen on my old G3 imac using IE, and I don't recall it ever happening on HTT. Just here. And it doesn't do it all the time. just occaisionally. Oh well, not like it's the end of the world.

7. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Odd. It should be all or nothing.

8. Shane

Shane Active Member

I've seen this bug before on this forum and HTT. I use Firefox almost exclusively.

9. cjd

cjd New Member

I believe it has to do with whether there are any querystring parameters in the "previous" page (i.e. does the browser consider it dynamic or static).

10. Randy Rhoton

Darned if I know, but it just did it again. And the browser has been off since this morning, when I cleared the history, and shut it off.

11. cjd

cjd New Member

12. Randy Rhoton

Doing it again. On the selected thread it reads: php?=882&highlight= then on the back key to the incorrect index it reads: php?searchid-newposts

Since I don't know anything about computer code, I have no clue what this means.

Edit: when I go back through the index/posts since last visit routine, the url comes up the same. Too weird.